Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP not "seeing programs"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 griff1096

griff1096

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

XP pr 32 sp3 OS

What happened: Hard drive crashed or was infected.

It would load to the blue screen and beep and then try to reload... blue screen and reload..

Hoping I had not lost everything, I tried a reinstall of the same operating system. When finished, there was nothing there, or that I could see...

I started to install some of my programs and got a warning saying that it would erase the last installed!!????

I quickly went to c drive and opened the program files.. and this is where it get's strange. I have all my programs on there. I can pull up my desktop from before the melt down. Some programs even run, most do not. There is not two program files.. just one. wow! Don't get why I can pull them up by going to START-My Computer- C drive- Programs and see everything. They just won't run...

My question is how do I get the same OS to recognize the programs that are on the C drive..?? I really don't want to have to re install all of the software.. it would take a day!!! need to be working. Deadline tomorrow.

PS... there is no dual boot..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

I don't think you can get the OS to recognise the programs without reinstalling them. Although the files exist on the hard drive, all the essential registry entries would have been removed.

Personally I would do a clean install of the OS and start from scratch.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 griff1096

griff1096
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

well that's what I thought.. But some programs do actually work.. Like photoshop. It did make me register some of the plugins but it worked. I don't get it.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

It will depend on the individual programs and what data they store in the registry. Some programs may still run but I think the majority won't without reinstalling them.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users