Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gray Blotches on LCD Screen-- Pictures Inclueded

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kazzandra

Kazzandra

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

I have a six year old LCD monitor that has progressively gained gray splotches on the left and right edges of the screen. The screen itself has been cleaned with LCD screen cleaner and has never been hit with harsh chemicals. I'm not too concerned about it, as I feel I've gotten a good life span out of this monitor (it's an HP vs15), but I would love to know what's happening here. Are the liquid crystals getting warped from all of that usage?
Rubbing the spots does not seem to affect them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

EDIT: Pardon my topic typo. I can't seem to edit the topic name.

Edited by Kazzandra, 07 February 2010 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JRockZ

JRockZ

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

Ive seen this before on an older LCD,,, Just as a guess i would say that possibly the liquids are coagulating maybe? is that a glossy screen monitor? If so it could just be the glossy part i believe you can replace that however LCD monitors are dirt cheap used on craigs list these days maybe worth it just to sell and replace yours. I just bought a 19" View sonic last week for 35 bucks and a 15" emachines the week befor ethat for 25 bucks and am using a 17" acer i found for 30 bucks,, If you look trheres alot of people posting these now just email one thats been on there a few days and throw a low ball offer you maybe surprized what you can get cheap!!
Would still be nice if there was a fix for this.
JRockZ

Edited by JRockZ, 07 February 2010 - 03:02 PM.

JRkZ

#3 JRockZ

JRockZ

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

If you have a matte finish monitor you can make it look like a nice new glossy screen monitor Ive done this once, its not easy by any means but ive had window tinting experience so basically the same idea here.
Heres a 19" glossy cover from frys. http://www.frys.com/product/5056515?site=s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
JRockZ

Edited by JRockZ, 07 February 2010 - 03:07 PM.

JRkZ

#4 Kazzandra

Kazzandra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

It's a matte monitor. You're right-- I bet the crystals are probably breaking down and/or are permanently twisted. Yeah, it's a cheap fix-- you're so right, but this monitor has been a great one. I probably still won't recycle it until it gets unusable. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users