Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"YOU HAVE BEEN INFECTED" unable to completely remove

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 brentmeister

brentmeister

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hello-

long time reader and admirer of this forum. Recently my wife/daughter managed to get our computer infected with the virus/malware that changes your wallpaper to "YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN INFECTED."

I have used several programs; Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and Norton to remove most of the problem. Computer seems to be working fine, but when I run scans (such as PandaScan, it is still fining reminants of the virus.)

I was hoping one of the experts could help me completely remove the virus/malware.

Please advise what I shall do first.

Many thanks,
Brent

Attached Files

Edited by brentmeister, 07 February 2010 - 04:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hello my name is Sempai and welcome to Bleeping Computer.
*We apologize for the delay. Forum have been busy.

* Please stay with me until I declare that your computer is clean as most users don't reply anymore once they found out that their computer is running smoothly, but absence of symptoms does not mean that a computer is free from infection.

*It is important not to make any further changes or run any other tools unless instructed to. This may hinder the cleaning process of your machine.

*You must reply within 5 days otherwise this topic will be closed.

Please do not attach logs unless I instructed you to do so. It's been a week since you posted those logs, I want to see new sets of logs so please do the following:

1. We need to create a New FULL OTL Report
  1. Please download OTL from here if you have not done so already:
  2. Save it to your desktop.
  3. Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  4. Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  5. Change the "Extra Registry" option to "SafeList"
  6. Push the button.
  7. Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

2. We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  1. Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  2. Open on your desktop.
  3. Click the tab.
  4. Click the button.
  5. Check all seven boxes:
  6. Push Ok
  7. Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  8. Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  9. Once the scan completes, push the button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply.

~Semp

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#3 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users