Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 StevieM

StevieM

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hi

I have just got a new pc with windows 7 and have fitted my wireless adapter (Buffalo 125* High Speed Mode Wireless PCI adapter WLI2-PCI- G54S) and am trying to connect wirelessly to a Wanadoo livebox.

I know the adaptor is working as it identifies my isp and as is usual any others within range. When I click connect it asks for the WEP security (my livebox does not issue WAP code only WEP), I enter the code correctly as per my livebox settings (also from previous pc) it tries to connect then says it failed. When you click on troubleshoot it can identify no errors.

I have tried loading the Wanadoo details in the network section but as soon as I do this the wireless adaptor throws up a red cross indicating I have different settings in the network than my isp (livebox) requires.

I have tried removing all networks from the list and starting again. With no networks listed the wireless link again offers me the chance to connect but fails to actyually connect.

Unfortunately my knowldge of internet access settings is very limited.

Any help to let me set up would be gratefully received

regards
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

Well Steve,

It's probably incorrect settings deeper than what the normal user would look for. I have problems like this when connecting a new computer to my university's Wi-Fi. The settings are not correct until you manually look for and change them (stupid, I know).

I don't know what your settings should be because I've never used a "Wanadoo Livebox". You might just have to dig around in the Network and Sharing Center to fix the problem. "Manage Wireless Networks" is the first place I would start. Right-click your saved network and click "Properties". Dig around in the settings (explore every option available) and look for things that might be incorrect. I can't tell you exactly what to look for because, like I said, I've never used something like the system you have.

Don't give up on it, as it will probably get frustrating at times. On every new computer (that's never connected to the internet before) I've ever used (whether it be mine or not), there has always been trouble connecting to a network (XP, Vista, or 7). But they all have eventually worked. It just takes patience and a little ingenuity. :thumbsup:

All the best,
keyboardNinja
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

just throwing in a quick question, does this device require a MAC address to be set up? Could a mis-matched MAC address be your problem?

Edit: just wanted to ask if you have tried going to Conrol Panel clicked on Administrative Tools, then clicked EVENT MANAGER and looked for any errors related to this device?
If not do so and come back and post any logs you see by clicking the COPY tab, paste it into notepad. Then copy the text into another post here so we can see what the error is.

You should post a log thatlooks like this one below but mine is cut short, but post your whole log. Thanks.

Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 2/7/2010 2:25:38 AM
Event ID: 33
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Bruce-PC

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 February 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

I think we have a crossed post here, my reply went into both internal hardware and windows 7 at the same time :thumbsup:

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:22 PM

No, the topic was moved by a mod/admin from the Windows 7 sub-forum to the Internal Hardware sub-forum (more appropriate place to ask for help). :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

No, the topic was moved by a mod/admin from the Windows 7 sub-forum to the Internal Hardware sub-forum (more appropriate place to ask for help). :thumbsup:

Thanks very much, I caught that after I posted that.

#7 StevieM

StevieM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

ok thanks for replies

1st it seems all the settings are ok, or what I thought were ok. Now I am not so sure that the wireless adaptor is working. Althought the system still seems to identify someone elses hub it no longer shows mine. On further investigation the wireless adaptor listed on my system does not seem to match the one I have fitted, so know I'm really confused.

As to looking at the event manager and error logs, this is quite deep stuff for me and there seemed to be lots of tabs / logs in that section. I was not sure how to just show error logs and then which of those that showed were applicable to this fault. With my very limited knowledge there seemed to be lots of logs which would have taken ages to copy.

As I have said before my pc knwledge really is quite basic.

regards
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users