Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot open .exe files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjbuck

mjbuck

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

We were taken over by "Antivirus XP 2010". Ran a McAfee scan and it was quarantined, but then no .EXE files would open. It would prompt to select which program I wanted to use.
I went to open regedit.exe and of course it would run, so I renamed it regedit.com and took a look at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command and found the correct value data of "%1" %*

I am at a loss as to what to do now. I can download Malwarbytes but can get it going b/c of this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

I recommend going to I'm I Infected on this site. "Antivirus XP 2010" is a very tough one. You most likely can't open any security program at this time.

#3 mjbuck

mjbuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Thank you, I will move it over there. sorry to have posted in the wrong spot.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:59 AM

No problem. Let us know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users