Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access files!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 laminatrap

laminatrap

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

My laptop got hit with hijack last week which I had thought Spybot took care of. A few days later I got a false desktop and realized I had bigger problems. Could not connect to the internet. could not run any programs. As a mater of fact any EXE seemed to get instantly hijacked. In attempt to restart in safe mofe the computer kept restarting before it could load. Disabled auto restart and got a blue screen sugesting there is a virus. I ran the HD on onother computer to do a virus scan (Avast) which could not do anything with the problems found. Reinstalled the HD and ran Windows non destructive recovery and got it running. Norton would not run (bundled Internet security 06) but was able to update. Will not function. Installed Avast and was able to fix some problems, however many got an error of "file not found". Seems the one it cannot fix is mostly Win32:Unruy-E where as Win32:Vitro seemed to be fixed.

At this point I wish to access "My Documents" which has non replaceable pics and such. I cannot access them as it states I do not have permission. I have tried with cmd prompt to access with no luck. HD in another computer no luck. I know the files are there as they are seen durring a scan.

Being that windows war repaired it created a new documents folder. Cannot restore either as it shows no restore points prior to repair. Alot of the restore files were infected.

Thanks for any and all help. Sorry for being long winded but figured lay out what was done already.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

This will do the job.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

After it is backed up, you are really going to have to do a bare walls reload. I have seen the rootkit that changes your permissions on every EXE you try to use and there is no fixing it. There are tools that will kill it but the process usually leaves so many damaged core win files you have to reload to get anything to work right.

Check your back up from the clean install with AVG9, malwarebytes and superantispyware before you copy any of it back. AVG has an optional setting to scan all removable media on access. (ext hard drive, flash drive, cd etc...)

What laptop brand and model do you have? The bare walls/ "Out of box" reinstall is a little different for each OEM. I have done lots of them.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 07 February 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#3 laminatrap

laminatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

HP Pavilion dv1624nr. I got windows running. only files I cannot access are in the original "My Documents" folder.

Edited by laminatrap, 07 February 2010 - 11:27 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-take-and-share-a-screen-shot-in-windows/

The above is a routine solution for users who are trying to access any files in Documents & Settings...from a different computer or a situation where the hard drive has been replaced.

Louis

Edit: I was careless when posting link, see How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2010 - 01:01 PM.

#5 laminatrap

laminatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Ok just finished DLing Ubuntu, will burn and try. Louis, you have me confused, what will a screen shot do for accessing files? If I put the HD into another computer it is still refuses access.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

My error, clicked on wrong link...this is the right one (apologies), How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#7 laminatrap

laminatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

Louis, Worked like a charm! Thanks everyone.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users