Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrative Events-Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:03 AM

This one has been bugging me for sometime now.
In Administrative Tools of Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit.
There is Event Viewer. Within Event Viewer there is Custom Views, when that folder is clicked an Icon appears called Administrative Events, to which the middle pane shows a list of ERRORS.
Ok for the life of me I can not figure out how to clear or delete those error events from the log. I want to get rid of any error logs older than a week and some of these date back to December 2009.
I have checked every where within event viewer to clear, remove or delete these old entries.
What am I over looking here?

Thanks in advance for any help you people can provide.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Custom Views -> Administrative Logs are combination of various logs combined together using a filter. Normally it contains Application, System, Security, and many more so that an administrator does not have to jump from one log to another log. It is just a filtered log view and not the actual log.

- If you want to clear a log then select an individual log like Application and then right click on it, select Clear log.
- You can also set the size limitation to smaller one like 1024 KB (which is 1MB) (by default it is 20MB). 1024 KB should be able to contain events of past 7 days or so. To set log size, right click on a log and select Properties and there you would see options.

As soon as you limit the size, or clear the log, you would see the changes reflected in the filter (Custom Views -> Administrative Logs)

You can identify a filter by a funnel like icon. The actual logs have a word pad like icon. You can also create your own filtered log views.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

Custom Views -> Administrative Logs are combination of various logs combined together using a filter. Normally it contains Application, System, Security, and many more so that an administrator does not have to jump from one log to another log. It is just a filtered log view and not the actual log.

- If you want to clear a log then select an individual log like Application and then right click on it, select Clear log.
- You can also set the size limitation to smaller one like 1024 KB (which is 1MB) (by default it is 20MB). 1024 KB should be able to contain events of past 7 days or so. To set log size, right click on a log and select Properties and there you would see options.

As soon as you limit the size, or clear the log, you would see the changes reflected in the filter (Custom Views -> Administrative Logs)

You can identify a filter by a funnel like icon. The actual logs have a word pad like icon. You can also create your own filtered log views.

Thanks for your reply romeo29 :huh:

Yes that funnel Icon is the one I was refering to, I was able to to go to the other catagories and click the clear options, to which it asks if I want to save the logs to a file or delete them, but it was just this one log that I could not clear, right clicking that funnel did not offer a clear/delete option either. Nor can I delete each event error in the middle pane.
I'm going to try limiting the size to see if that helps. I know the only options I see for filters is export or import.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 February 2010 - 03:02 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

I am going to spend a little time reading the help files from the Microsoft Management Consol for custom views.
I think I need a better understanding of how to use filters for removing old entries.
I basically understand using filters to log certain errors though.
Time to do some homework :huh:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 February 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#5 ctbarbarian

ctbarbarian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hi - Very new to this forum, but here goes ! In order to clear  the administrative events log, open the log, right click on it and click on the 'properties' choice. In properties there is a "clear log" button. (that's where they hide it !) Good luck...

#6 ctbarbarian

ctbarbarian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi - still very new to this forum, but I found a better (easier) way to delete the administrative events log - just use CCleaner. Voila ! All the Windows logs go away at once, including the persistant administrative logs ! CCleaner is a free download that works well for many things other than deleting pesky logs.

http://www.downloadinfo.co/review/ccleaner/?kw=ccleaner&subid=DICCUS&cust=ccleaner&type=ccleaner&gclid=CMbfjd_KqLoCFStp7AodAFkABA&utm_campaign=DICCUS&fwd=1&rnd=fda25adf9b7a7b6eb5a02d2b43ef5045fcc373d8&ts=1382381158

In Ccleaner, under advanced choices, select 'Windows logs'

Edited by ctbarbarian, 21 October 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Those "Windows logs" are very important when attempting to troubleshoot system issues...often they are the only info available for any effort to discern what happened and why.

I'd not use anything to eliminate such, based on the premise that things will go wrong, at some point.

Louis

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Too right Louis...

Unless you have a seriously small HDD there is no reason to delete windows logs. It's ilLOGical. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users