Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with possible virus ie pc keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Not2Confused

Not2Confused

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

Hi Everyone.

Over the last 2 months I cleaned up my pc (removed lots of old files and unused programs) and backed up important data to discs and sd cards.
PC was running nice, smooth & quietly until almost a week ago. Hard drive began a grinding sound and it began to take longer than necessary to access my programs and far too long to even open them. I also began to notice hd activity for no reason at all, but when I looked in task manager , nothing but the normal processes were running. However, I did notice yesterday that Mcafee's shield was using quite a bit of memory.

Mcafee scan found nothing. I ran Eset's on-line scanner, Sophos, and Malwarebytes and even Microsofts scanners. All found nothing. Maybe it just the beginning stages of a hd failure, but I want to rule out (or rule in) infection first. Mcafee virus scan was somehow "paused" all day and I couldn't access it, but it seems fine now.

PC begins to boot, hd grinding away, seems like it wants to boot, then the hd stops, fans still running and the status indicator lights on. I had to cold boot it many times, and then it all starts over. I was finally able to get it to stay booted in safe mode, then I was able to restart and get into my acct. So far it hasn't rebooted itself.

My specs:
Win XP w/ SP 3
P4 dual core 3.00 ghz w/ HT
200gb WD-2000JD Caviar SE hard drive (SATA)
512mb memory
IE 7

McAfee Virus Suite
CCleaner
Malwarebytes (free version)

I'd appreciate any help that anyone has time to give. Please let me know if I've given enough info to get the ball rolling.

Thanks
n2c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users