Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Phone? Yet another one of these.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:49 PM

Sorry I bet you get a hundred of these threads a day. I am not very experienced in phones because I am considering making the jump from a regular cell phone to the smartphone. This has been spurred by the fact that the PDA is basically DEAD.

What I want is:
-Good Phone functionality, seems like a given. It shouldn't take me 30 seconds of navigating menus to make a phone call. Bluetooth is also good because I love earpieces while driving.

-QWERTY Keyboard, I have started texting and I want a qwerty board with the only exception being a touchscreen phone that offers a sizeable on-screen board like the iPhone/iPod Touch.

-Calendar, This needs to sync with a desktop application that runs on Windows 7. I don't care if it syncs with Outlook or Google Calander but it has to sync with SOMETHING because I cannot stand inputting large amounts of data on a small device.

-Internet Connectivity with a web browser capable of Google Maps, I think my biggest use of on-the-go internet with other people's phones has been google maps so if the web browser can't display it properly then it's useless to me.

-Wi-Fi would also be nice because I have crappy 3G near my home but the WiFi in my living room is excellent.

-ATT Service, I have and like ATT.

-Common OS and ports, whether it is Droid, iPhone, or Windows Mobile I don't care but the more universal it is in software and hardware the better.

What I DON'T Need:
-TouchScreen, I am in the engineering trade and it gets my hands dirty which wouldn't treat a touchscreen well.
-PC Tethering, I don't own a laptop and I also am not paying for a plan that includes tethering.
-Excessive Audio/Video, I have an MP3 Player and won't be trying to watch movies on my phone.

I hope I have outlined my needs very well.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

Blackberry or Motorolla Q Smartphones (not the Droid based ones) are probably gonna be what you'd like best. AT&T Has the Blackberry Curve Series, the Nokia E71x, and the Samsung Jack. The best way to figure out which phone is best for you is to try them out at the store/kiosk because something that fits good in my hand might not in yours. I know Blackberrys sync w/ windows mail.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users