Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is running slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dyrbooker

Dyrbooker

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

My computer is running so slow it's like watching paint dry. It was running fine until my hard drive crashed and I was to loose everything.

It's an HP, about 6 years old, and I'm running Windows XP.

I took the computer to a computer repair place and they were able to retreive my photos, music files, and documents. They put a new hard drive in the compter and loaded Nortons internet security. The internet seems to run fast enough, however anything I need to do on the pc itself it takes a long, long, time. like opening windows, start programs or anything else. I did put Office 2007 (enterprise) on the computer but the slowness started before I did that. I went into the start up menu an stoped a couple of things from running in the back ground, That's helped a tiny bit. The programs that are still running in the back ground are the following

alcxmntr
ltmsg
reader_sl
lxbkbmgr
qttask
justched
apdproxy
grovemonitor (stopped from running and another one showed up)
ctfmon
adobearm

Could someone help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

Right click your Task Bar and select Task Manager, then click the Performance tab. Look at your Memory Usage and CPU.
Leave Task Manager open and open something else. If your Ram or CPU is pegged out, or both, you might be able to add more Ram and get by.

Programs load into ram first then when none is available they use your your page file or virtual memory on your hard drive.
This makes your CPU work harder.

You can get Ram pretty cheap for older machines, I use Crucial, they have a scan tool and stand behind what they sell.

Another thing you might look into is backing up your data and wiping your drive and reloading XP, clean start. Maybe get a new drive and use the old one for backup.

Edited by ratchet48, 06 February 2010 - 10:50 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

alcxmntr-Realtek sound card

ltmsg-Lucent techologies [communications]

reader_sl-Adobe Reader

lxbkbmgr-Lexmark printer

qttask-Apple Quicktime

justched-JAVA update schedualer [turn off]

apdproxy-Adobe

grovemonitor - Microsoft Office http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/groove/HA101656331033.aspx

ctfmon-Microsoft Office

adobearm-Adobe

Remember....Google is my friend :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users