Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

46 Infections Served!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Genisay

Genisay

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Thank you so much!!!! :thumbsup: :flowers: I came here on advice from a friend to get rid of that blasted infection called Security Tool!

Funny thing is, I left on a trip before being able to come to the site, but when I got back a week later and restarted my computer, Security Tool had disapeared on its own! *Shrug* Oh well.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware still helped me kill 46 infections that I didn't know I had, most of them located in Hkey Registys.
My computer is already running much faster thanks to it! Better then Norton Anit-virus!

Please tell Malwarebytes creator thank you for me as well!

I do have one question, what are Hkey Registries and where do they come from so I can avoid them in the future?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

Hi Genisay, welcome to BleepingComputer  :thumbsup:

If you think of your CPU (Processor) as the heart of your computer pumping information around, then the REGISTRY is the brain. It is just a list of instructions but any mistakes there can make your machine unbootable, so stay away from it and from so called Registry Cleaners.

Good protection will stop you getting infected.

FWIW, I use Windows Firewall, Avast 5 antivirus, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, ThreatFire, WinPatrol Plus, and also have Windows Defender and a copy of MalwareBytes for occasional use.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

I do have one question, what are Hkey Registries and where do they come from so I can avoid them in the future?

You don't want to avoid HKEY registry keys :thumbsup:

Without the Windows Registry your computer wouldn't even finish booting up.

From Wikipedia

The Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems. It contains settings for low-level operating system components as well as the applications running on the platform: the kernel, device drivers, services, SAM, user interface and third party applications all make use of the Registry. The registry also provides a means to access counters for profiling system performance.

Malware will use the registry to store its settings (for example, it ads registry values that allow it to run on system start up). Those malware references will be removed when scanning with tools like MBAM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

As elise025 has said, you can't 'avoid' them they are an integral part of your OS. The trick is 'avoiding' get the registry items infected.

Maybe this will help shed some light on Hkey items:

Structure of the Registry

The Registry is a hierarchical structure similar to what you see when looking at a directory/file tree on your computer. You have a main key, or Hive, with Keys, Subkeys and then Values. Each of these are discussed below:

Hives - Hives are the top most portions of the hierarchical data tree with each Hive containing a certain category of information. For example one Hive may contain the configuration that applies to the particular user logged on, while another Hive will contain information about the hardware installed in the computer. Depending on the version Windows that you are running there will be 5 or 6 different hives. Below we have outlined the 6 possible hives:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU) -
This Hive contains the preferences and configuration for the particular user who is currently logged in. If a different user is logged onto the same machine, then the information in this Hive would change corresponding to that particular user's configuration.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM) -
This Hive contains the configuration for the actual computer. The information in this Hive remains the same regardless of the user currently logged on.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (HKCR) -
This Hive contains the information for that pertains to the core user interface such as file associations and shortcuts.
HKEY_USERS (HKU) -
This Hive contains the user information for all the users that have ever logged onto this computer.
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG (HKCC) -
This Hive contains the information about current hardware configuration. This Hive is linked to the HKLM Hive.
HKEY_DYN_DATA (HKDD) -
This Hive is found only on Windows 95/98/ME. It contains information about hardware Plug and Play. This Hive is linked to the HKLM Hive.

Keys - Keys are an organizational unit in the Registry. Keys are containers that can either contain values or further subkeys. Subkeys themselves, can contain further subkeys. Keys are similar to folders in that they can contain further subkeys or the file, or what we call values in the Registry.

Above quote from BleepingCompter's tutorial on Demystifying the Windows Registry.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users