Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Boots up to blank screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Smartkid

Smartkid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Whenever I try to boot my PC, it loads to a blank screen with only the mouse pointer visible. I tried to right click and pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL but nothing happens. I tried booting up up Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration as well, but still get the blank screen.

When I load Safe Mode, the words "Safe Mode" still appear on the screen corners. The top of the screen says "Microsoft ® Windows XP ® (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435:Service Pack 3)"

I have an HP system, which did not come with a Windows XP CD for me to try to boot the system. I can press F10 to get into HP System Recovery, but am not even sure if that will solve the problem.

I wasn't doing anything odd the last time I used the PC, so I'm not sure what could have happened. I have a lot of files on my hard-drives that I need access to as soon as possible and don't want to lose anything.

Can someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sarunk

sarunk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi,
Try to remove all external hardware devices except keyboard and mouse then restart the computer and check the status.
Please check if recovery console installed in the computer, So that you can try to fix the problem from there.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:03 AM

From what I see...that's probahly an illegal, pirated version of XP.

http://haliloo.com/?tag=gdr

Forum rules prohibit assisting with any piracy of Windows.

Louis

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

If you have an hp, then you have a license for whatever came on your system.

backup your stuff, do the destructive recovery option after you do the f-10 at bios boot, and you will be legal again.

then your only problem will be removing vongo and whatever lame expired antivirus it is that came with your hp.

HP has recovery dvd sets for each laptop (unless it is too old) for 17.00 and shipping.

If you need help getting legal post the model number and serial number and we can point you to the place to order the recovery disk set.

The blank screen with mouse is usually not repairable anyway, so save some pain and suffering and do it right.

If you or someone else has reinstalled from non HP media, there is a chance the f-10 will not kick into a working recovery partition. The the dvd set will then be your best option. (some hp's require a specific reload order to get the partitioning right)

#5 Smartkid

Smartkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the responses. I can access HP System Recovery via F10. I have a legal version of XP. It's the one that came with my PC and I never installed a new version. I think theres a problem with the Windows registry files.

I downloaded a Ubuntu boot CD and ran that on my PC and can access my hard-drives. Everything is still there. So I just need to buy another external harddrive and backup all my files. Then I can reinstall Windows via the HP Recovery Console. I haven't done that before, so I'll be back for help after my files are backed up.

Just as background, my PC is more than 10 years old but is in great condition. It recently suffered from two infections that I had to use ComboFix to cure. Recently its been acting sluggish so I knew something was wrong. I think some of the Windows registry files might have still been contaminated.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

Smartkid,

you may also want to consider testing your hard drive and see if it's still in good condition. Use the manufacturer's testing utility to check the drive. Being more than 10 years old, it's very possible that you hard drive has decided it's time to give up.

Have a look here for Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

Also note:
If you want to transfer your recovery partition to a new drive, do a disk image with clonezilla live cd on to an external drive and then install the new drive, boot to clonezilla cd and write the image back onto the new drive. Then run the f-10 recovery and it will write the new install back to the same partition size as the old drive. Use ubuntu live cd and gparted (included under administrator tools) to expand the existing ntfs partition to fit the new drive.

Walkthroughs and even videos are available if you search via google.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users