Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

resuming windows?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

when i turned on my computer it said resuming windows. i even shut it off properly. (start-shut down) then it brought me to the log in screen and everything was fine. nothing happened, but i was just wondering why it did that.

thank you for your time.
i just get weirded out with little things like this since ive never had win 7 and its a newer os.

thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

"Resuming Windows" indicates that the computer was in hibernate mode. However, if you shut it down properly, it would be virtually impossible for it to hibernate.

I do know that if you don't customize your power settings and then put your computer to sleep, Windows will hibernate after a certain period (default settings, I always change them). But since you said you shut it down, that doesn't seem likely.

Try replicating the result: shut it down, leave it for a little while, then boot. See what happens. It could have been a fluke, you could have accidentally clicked the wrong button (not likely, but still possible), there are many possibilities. But try recreating what happened, and we'll analyze what we get. :huh:

I know it's weird at first getting used to a new OS, but once you get familiar with it, it's awesome.

Some things in Windows 7 can seem quirky at first, and take some getting used to. But your particular issue seems to be isolated to your computer (or that single shutdown instance). I have never seen this happen before.

See if it happens again, and let me know. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:21 PM

It could have something to do with Windows updates. Click on the Control Panel, then Programs and Features. Next, click on "view installed updates".
See if the update was actually installed.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

sharpie, this was your first topic and I'm referring back to it http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/293674/boot-screen/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:38 AM

my man ninja. ive tried doing it again and nothing happened. actually i tried doing it a few times and it worked just fine. jacee i see many updates, but i dont see which ones were installed correctly and the ones that failed to update.

thanks for the help you two

sharpie

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, it could have just been a fluke. Anyway, here's how to check for failed updates:

Posted Image
Posted Image
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users