Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive Not Found Win 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marto

Marto

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

Need help here please. Bought a new laptop last month with Vista installed. Sent off for the free upgrade to Windows 7 and it finally arrived. In the weeks before I received it I had no trouble listening to CDs or burning music to the laptop. After Windows 7 was installed that was the end of doing anything with the drive. The computer recognises the CD and you can hear it 'whirling' but Windows 7 is not finding it at all.
At first I thought it might be my new laptop until I bought APC magazine and low and behold there is an article saying that Windows 7 is not finding some DVD drive. It then gves a long, technical explanation of a few things to do but I am wary of trying these in case I stuff everything up. All to do with registry keys etc. I know a bit about finding my way around a computer and I keep my 2 well maintained but this reads as scary stuff for an amateur. Any simple solutions would be most welcomed. Anyone else with this problem??
Thanks all - in anticipation. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

Do this : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...-troubleshooter
As suggested on this page : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

#3 Marto

Marto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:08 AM

many thanks Romeo 29. Will try the links.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:39 AM

Sadly there isn't always those two entries in the registry.
I had issues with my DVD drive as well and went looking for those filters, they did not excist.
Either way, my drive is now losing its abilities to read DVD+R and CD+R disks.
I have also noticed (now we are on this subject)I have a folder under that key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} which is called PROPERTIES, it is below folder 0001 folder 0002 & folder 0003 there's that folder called PROPERTIES no matter what I do to enter it or delete it it says "ACCESS DENIED" There is no Administrator rights that allow its access or deletetion either I've tried everything including access control, access rights ect.
I ended up buying a new USB portable DVD-RW which works fine.
I have no solution that will work either.
I still have that E-IDE DVD installed it is recognised in computer, but there are not many disks it reads anymore.
It is an on-going BUG somewhere related to E-IDE Drives and some SATA as well.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 February 2010 - 03:45 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

MrBruce what you are describing exactly happened to my LG-EIDE DVD writer 6-7 months ago. I took it to a repair shop. The technicians told me that some chip is damaged due to overheating. The cost of repair was high so I bought a new drive.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

MrBruce what you are describing exactly happened to my LG-EIDE DVD writer 6-7 months ago. I took it to a repair shop. The technicians told me that some chip is damaged due to overheating. The cost of repair was high so I bought a new drive.

Yes I wouldn't doubt it, When I bought this drive it was the beginning of a new DVD burning era, it LOL costed me $250 bucks back in 2003 when I bought it new, it remained in the un-opened box until 2009, when I finally decided to install it. When these problems cropped up while attempting to install Windows 7 home premium from the DVD. I decided to open the drive to clean the optical lense, on the PC board there is 2 chips, an NEC C3320GC chip and another one with faint lettering, which both had a rubber thick sticky pad on them which made contact with the DVD-RW's case. Not sure if those are supposed to be a heat transfer pad or not. To be truthful can't see where there's any possibility that those pads do the job, if at all! But I've seen a lot of the chips in burners or re-writers, that have heat-sink compound on the chips and the case makes direct contact to the chips!
Go figure, huh? :thumbsup:

By the way. The drive I speak about is a Memorex Dual Format X-1 DVD Recorder. Model # 3202325 Manufacture date June 2003. first used August 2009 (yes ...2009)
Same drive today can be found on ebay for $30 or less labled as NEW! LOL boy did staples get me on that drive!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 February 2010 - 01:43 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users