Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Helping a Novice from Afar - Slow -

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

Hey smart friends,

I am at my parent's house today, and while I was here, I decided to look at their PC. I don't think it's running near to it's true potential. We recently had the Antivirus Live virus on here, and we got it removed (thankfully.)

I wanted to see if we could get some help to get this machine cleaned up a bit. I live 4 hours from here, but, am hoping to get it cleaned up and running a bit faster.

Let me give a brief summary with what we're dealing:

1. There are several toolbars installed. My mom and brother like to get "click happy" and have downloaded quite a bit o' stuff.

2. There are a few extra icons in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

3. AVG said there was a virus that needed to be quarinteened or healed. I healed it when I came to the machine today. Before I leave, I hope to update all of the definitions and get anything cleaned out that we need to.

4. This has been a recurring issue : Everytime I come to vist, there is a "Restore My Active Desktop" button in the middle of the screen. When I click on it, I get an error message popping up that says
"Line 65
Char 1
Error: Object doesn't support this action
Code : 0
And, there is a URL mentioned
Do you want to continue running scripts?"

I have went into the REGEDIT before and fixed it, but, it continues to come back. It's something to do with DeskHTMLVersion and it's version number.

Thanks.

Also, if this will help, this computer has, (with the latest definitions I believe) Malware Bytes, Spybot, AVG. They were useful in getting off Antivirus Live off of the machine before.
I am going to be leaving in a few hours, but, hopefully, with whatever help you guys can give, along with my help, we can get this computer running much more efficiently.

Thank you so much.

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users