Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent HDD issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I've not been here in quite a long time, have not been very well (in hospital) but hope to be here a bit more frequent now. I have decided to post my issue and any comments / suggestions would be most grateful. I'll try and post as much info here, but am quite likely to miss something out!

I'm currently building a secondary PC from parts of my old main desktop.

My ideal situation is to build it with as little cost as possible and so far this has been the case.

All the components except for the motherboard have been tested and are working as expected.

My motherboard is at least 3 years old and has had some fairly heavy use.

Before I got my new PC I was occasionally experiencing the PC not booting into Windows. It would freeze before attempting to boot from CD or Hard Drive.

This issue is now even more present and I am getting nowhere with the current configuration.

I have 1 SATA - 1.5GBPS HDD and

1 PATA HDD

The CD / DVD drive is set as Master

The PATA and SATA are Slave

When trying to boot from the SATA I get a "Disk Boot Failure - insert system disk"

I have managed to install Windows 7 successfully and it booted several times. Over a few days

The SATA drive will now not boot ANYTHING yet will happily pass a HD Tune Test.

When running a System Stress Test (PC Check) I have had it fail on two occasions complaining the HD was the issue. I am happy that it is not a HDD issue, but either a motherboard configuration or mobo issue itself.

The disk will not boot even when I take out the IDE and set it to SATA only. I am literally tearing my hair out now!

I have much more info to post, but will keep this as a general summary now. Any comments or suggestions you have will be most welcome

Kind Regards,

Matthew :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

I do have an update to this now.

It appears that the DVD drive is failing to read DVD's...but is fine with CD's so going to replace the entire drive.

As far as the SATA HDD is going. It's failing the stress virtually all the time. The SMART test was also unable to read information. The HDD then disappeared and I assume it's electronics rather than the heads etc.

Could anyone help me troubleshoot the HDD anymore. It seems like it is slowly starting to show issues. Even though I can write lots of data to it...and there be no problem...

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

To check the status of a hard drive...visit the hard drive manufacturer's website, download the appropriate hard drive diagnostic utility...and run the long test of the diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users