Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

packed.protector.c removed, now video card issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Digby's Iron Lung

Digby's Iron Lung

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

A month ago I was infected with a virus AVG called packed.protector.c, and it quarantined atapi.sys. It appeared to be cleared up at that time. Shortly after, my computer hung and after re-start all I could get was a BSOD that indicated "page fault in non-paged area" and referenced ati.sys. ( I cannot reproduce this screen, details below.) Additionally, the text during bios boot-up was jumbled, and the screen was covered in pairs of zeroes.

I took the following steps
  • I have a recovery partition on this computer, so I tried to enter Microsoft Recovery Console, which led me to another BSOD, this one indicating the following:

A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7D82524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

• Attempting to boot from the XP install disk gave me the same error.
  • I could boot up in Safe mode, text during boot was still jumbled but I could access Windows. Safe mode with Networking gave me a BSOD as well.
  • I installed an additional SATA drive and backed up all my files at this point (which I've been meaning to do).
  • Some Googling indicated people have had problems with my NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE video card's drivers, so I updated them. After re-start, I don't get the same BSOD referencing ati.sys, it just hangs with a black screen, and then I get a "Cable Disconnected" notification on my monitor. Trying to enter Recovery Console gives me the same BSOD quoted above.
  • NOW...on a fluke I disabled my video card and I can boot normally. Zeroes and jumbled text on boot up are still there, and my resolution is wonky, but those are the only remaining symptoms.
  • Scans in safe mode with AVG 9, ClamWin and SpyBot come back clean. I have the most recent virus definitions.
  • Ran CHKDSK /F as instructed, nothing fixed and no changes.
My question is, what's going on here? Is this a case of a bad video card that just happens to correspond with my virus infection? Do I have bad drivers? Did I kill something important when AVG quarantined atpi.sys?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Other vitals:
Dell XPS410
Windows XP, SP3

Edited by Digby's Iron Lung, 07 February 2010 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digby's Iron Lung

Digby's Iron Lung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

Anyone have any thoughts here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users