Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear wn121t CPU hog and disconnection!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mischievousape

mischievousape

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hey all :thumbsup: I bought a Netgear DGN2000 wireless router, and a Netgear WN121T adapter for my Vista 32 PC.

The WN121T adapter is causing CPU spikes to 100% and then internet disconnection. The CPU use goes back down to normal, and then I can reconnect to the internet. This is happening 2-3 times every hour.

I looked at Task Manager, and the process that is maxing out is the NETWORK SERVICE svchost.exe.

I've tried un/reinstalling the drivers, and all drivers on my system are up to date.

Can anyone offer any ideas? Thanks :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

You can check your driver version HERE. It may be more recent then the CD that was bundled with the product.

Are you using Windows Wireless Zero to configure the connection? How to HERE.

#3 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hello :thumbsup: Yes, I have the latest 5.2 Netgear adapter drivers, and I did configure through the Vista settings like in your link :flowers:

#4 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

Well...I did lots of searching online and now I have disabled IPv6 from the connection properties and I have no problem with disconnections. None. No CPU spikes or anything. Everything works good, apart from the signal strenght I get now has reduced from 5 bars (excellent) to 3 bars (good).

The speed has reduced as well, and I can no longer get a good speed for gaming.

Can anyone tell me how I can boost my performance of signal?

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hoping a Gamer who has experienced this problem my chime in.

Sorry. I had forgotten about Vista including IPv6. It is`t necessary. I believe it has been included as a way of future proofing Vista and known to cause problems.

Not sure why disabling it has caused you the problems you are seeing. I do know that wireless anything is really not recommended when it comes to gaming. This is due to the inherent lag associated with all things wireless.

#6 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

That's ok ThunderZ...I appreciate your help :thumbsup:

I was thinking about getting a Powerline Adapter kit to plug in Ethernet via the powerline. Would that be better than wireless for gaming do you think?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

My first choice would be a ethernet connection using at least cat5 cable.

I`m guessing you generally use the laptop in a different room then where the router is?

#8 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:36 AM

Yeh ThunderZ the PC is in a totally different part of the house from the master socket, and we have damaged the internal cabling which is why I thought about wireless. Running an ethernet through the house will get the thumbs down I'm afraid :D

#9 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

So, I bought some HD powerline adaptors and I got an awesome 150Mbps connection to the router now. All is good thank god :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users