Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sick computer- mozila ok, IE very slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lorimac1008

lorimac1008

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hello: I have been pretty good in the past at finding and killing infections in this antique computer. At this point, I have used spybot, which found one trojan, which I subsequently removed, I have also run bitdefender which finds nothing. This is a very old computer with a 500 mhz processor, running windows xp sp3. I only own the sp2 version and don't really feel like spending an afternoon reformatting and reinstalling os, updating to sp3 and putting the other software back on. My husband uses this computer to play mafia wars and uses facebook, which I told him can be like doing a prostitute with no protection. Eventually, I plan to put linux on a flash drive and show hubby how much less frequently he would encounter viruses. But for now, I would like to run your combofix, but need your help deciphering. Can you help? The symptoms are the usual, SSSLLLOOOWWWWness in Internet Explorer and also Windows takes forever to load. Mozila seems to be a little better for surfing, but can you guys help me to diagnose and treat the infection that I'm sure he has? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

Have you Ran Malwarebytes yet? WWW.malwarebytes.org. Update and Run a full scan. I understand this PC is for Mafia wars etc. But with the OS your using you are under system requirements or just at them. I would ditch this machine as its worth maybe a few bucks. That or blow it out throw a linux flavor on there, something lite. And call it a day. Not sure if he will still be able to play Mafia Wars or not?? I dont know much about it other then some of my fellow techs at work play it. I would walk you through using combo fix but not allowed to on this forum yet. Are you sure the machine is still infected. Since its mainly IE related you could see if a pesky add-on is the blame by running IE without add-ons. Or even setting IE back to factory defaults. Most cases however with recent malwarebugs they change settings in IE. Spybot is a great utility for Immunization other then that I dont like it. Teatimer the autoprotect feature is buggy, resource hogs, and sometimes causes false positives with other better Anit-Malware software. First thing I would do is run a FULL malwarebyte scan. Reboot, see how it runs then if it found anything, then set IE to default. Backup data, then dump the XP and throw a lightweight Linux OS on it. Or burn the machine, which is what I would do first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users