Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two firewalls? Two real-time AVs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Learning123

Learning123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

I see in many places the recommendation to run a single firewall and a single AV program. I have run more than one at a time and not sure why it's recommended to have only one. Reasons given that I saw were:
(1) they will conflict ... but I did not notice conflicts - things seem to run for me, programs seem to work, what am I missing?
(2) it might be actually LESS secure to use two firewalls - I don't understand why - can someone explain?
(3) it's a pain since you have to configure same things in two places - Agreed but not a problem in my case
(4) any others?

I've run different combinations, e.g. zonealarm + McAfee (both firewall hips and on-access anti-virus) + avira.

Appreciate your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Learning123

Learning123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Thank you, garmanma. I would guess the issue with false positives is usually easily identifyable, since it will be clear, when looking at which specific files are reported as suspect. Would you agree, or do you think this might cause some subtle false positives?

In general, I don't care too much about performance on computers where I would like "double"-security, but obviously if things start hanging, that would be an issue. It's good to know this might be the cause. (I had not experienced this yet, but will watch out for this in the future.)

Thanks!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Even Anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a timeUsing two software firewalls on a single computer could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (a router) and a software firewall (Kerio or ZoneAlarm) in conjunction.You also may want to read Understanding and Using Firewalls.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 mtr18103

mtr18103

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

Yes, I have seen two AV programs conflict.

However, Is it safe to run AV software and also realtime protection for Spyware at the same time? It seems they have their own strengths and weaknesses and you would need both. I am not an expert, this is a question, not a statement of fact.

Regards,

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combination for your particular system as there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Learning123

Learning123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Quietman, thank you for reply.

For 2 firewalls, so far I have not had any conflicts that I would worry about with both Zonealarm and McAfee HIPS- things run smoothly as far as I can tell. Could you elaborate on:

"Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. "

Is there any examples or references to the above?

Now, going to anti-virus part of the question - how would you qualify Avira AntiVir product - it seems to be doing both anti-virus and anti-malware monitoring. So, if I run McAfee anti-virus real-time protection AND Avira, I guess I am running 2 anti-virus programs at the same time (even though I run Avira mostly for anti-malware purposes). Just like with firewalls, I see no conflicts so far. Everything seems to work fine... ?

Edited by Learning123, 21 February 2010 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users