Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protection Methods

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mtr18103

mtr18103

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

I was recently affected by a few trojans on a couple of my computers.

I was running Avast at the time and MBAM free version scans were run weekly. After the infection I became paranoid about this and bought MBAM realtime protection. I noticed a number of blocked IP on 2 systems at that time. However it locks up the computer with the new Avast 5. I have confirmed they do not work well together on 2 other systems.

I switched to AVG free and it immediately found some things Avast missed. AVG 9 and MBAM realtime protection run very well together.

I then ran Combofix and installed Super Antispyware. Superantispyware found a number of issues AVG and MBAM missed.

I then installed Sophos root kit scanner and look to be clean on these two computers.

It seems to me, you need a suite of applications to get all this stuff. Can anyone with expert experience suggest the best free applications to be safe. Knowing that I already purchased MABM realtime and love it.

Thank you,

Edited by mtr18103, 06 February 2010 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

site hound or site advisor.

http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/sitehound

http://www.siteadvisor.com/

I used to use siteadvisor and it is a great addition.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

I then ran Combofix

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mtr18103

mtr18103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Thank you for the feedback,

One more question guys.

This is driving me crazy now! I have a laptop running AVG and MBAM realtime. I just did Super Antispyware disk search and it said I am clean.

Mozilla is getting re-directed to Blueseek.com. What the bleep is blueseek.com?

Do I have a virus being missed by everything. Is blueseek legit.

I am formatting the disk right now, but I would like to know how I am getting re-directed to Blueseek.com

Edited by mtr18103, 06 February 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

blueseek itself seems legit, the redirect might not be though.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:08 PM

According to WOT, the site is unsafe http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/blueseek.com
Siteadvisor however, reports that it is safe, but since you are being redirected there, either you installed a program that changed your default search engine to blueseek.com, or you have an infection.

#7 mtr18103

mtr18103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

I think something changed my default search engine because every scanner I used said I was clean. That is a good point.

I am now officially paranoid and reformatted the drive. This took care of it!

Web site hijacking, trojans, worms, root kits, whatever and I dont use any kind of Bit torrent. It seems to me, nothing is safe any more. I get scam emails all the time. I just got a new scam paypal email today. I don't know what is legit anymore.

I am using AVG free version 9, MBAM realtime protection, (which I just bought) and I just bought Super Antispyware today. Maybe with all 3, I will be safe.

Thanks,

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:59 AM

How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:49 PM

I would recommend either Avast! or Avira over AVG, in my opinion, AVG is a program lacking in ability compared to the other free programs out there.

Edited by xblindx, 08 February 2010 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users