Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

I am thinking of upgrading my PC. I have a Dell Precision Workstation T3400. I use Windows XP Pro. I use DDR2 memory. My processor is an Intel Core 2 CPU 4300 @ 1.8GHz. I will be adding some RAM shortly (a total of 3 GB) and need some music software that requires at least a 2GHz processor. Some of the software even requires a Pentium 4.

I am not highly technical, so please keep the discussion in simple terms. If I were to look for such an upgrade, what specs would I check out? Also, is it best to replace the processor and the motherboard together?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

Your CPU is actually superior to a Pentium 4, being true dual core will allow better multitasking and if your music software is multithreaded the 2 GHz requirement shouldn't be aproblem.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=28024

Be sure and use the right memory, I like crucials site for reliability.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...station%20T3400
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

Thanks, Chewy. I already have memory I bought from a local Microcenter. I took my specs from Dell to them and they matched it up. I've dealt with Crucial before and definitely liked the experience. Next time I add memory, I'll remember.

Does a dual processor boost my overall GHz power? It's not something as simple as considering it as a 3.6 GHz, is it?

I'm not at all happy with the current performance of my computer, but the RAM hopefully will take care of that.

Strange...I recently tried to install some software from a company called M-Audio, a music program called Sessions, and it wouldn't even load on my computer, even though it listed XP as the operating system intended for the program. Getting help from that company isn't easy. When I try to install a program, does the program go looking at my system configuration before installing, or is the issue with the software? I bought the program over a year ago and couldn't get it to install then, and never got a response from the company.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users