Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help/advice on 2 pc builds and also graphics card question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

Ok I'm currently working on building a gaming PC that will eventually run 3-4 graphics cards in SLI (or Crossfire whichever has better cards when I have the money) and reconfigure my current PC to be a media center for the rest of my house (allow it to stream movies from the HDD to the laptops and TV's via a wireless player). atm I only have the case, memory, monitor, and mouse. I'll also be bringing over my ATI HD 4890 from my current system along with my sound card, PSU, 2 HDD's, and 2 optical drives though the hdd, drives, PSU, and maybe the sound card will be temporary until I buy new gear.

The problem I'm having atm is whether or not to get either an AMD motherboard and processor (the phenom II looks good) which will be tons cheaper and eventually be moved to my second system (the media center one) unless I get a i5 now in which case that will move to the second system, get a really good motherboard for a i5/i7 and get the processor later (the benefit of this is that I can get a mobo that will be tri-SLI compatiable now), or get a cheap motherboard with a i5-750 (to get all the parts required now). Regardless of choice I'd like my rig to have a i7 eventually (unless AMD makes a chip faster than a i7, I'm set on this choice). So what i need is suggestions for what I would need in the future. My current PC is a dual-core AMD Opteron 1.81GHz, 2GB g-skill ddr2 ram, ATI Radeon HD4890, a cheap sound blaster audigy sound card all on a asus a8n5x (i think thats the right mobo name).

Also I'm curious on how SLI and Crossfire work. I know i need 2 identical cards and a connector...thing. However when I was looking at a PC maker (was fooling around) I saw that Nvidia's SLI was able to hold 3 cards (gtx 275's were what i had in it) and a phys-x dedicated card which happens to be their gts series cards. I was wondering if 2 gtx 295 dual core cards (for quad SLI) were better than 3 gtx ??? cards(gotta be tri SLI compatible cards) and also is the phys-x dedicated card type dependent on the other cards? Also can ATI cards even stack up to Nvidia on this level?? Hmm that seems to be all the questions i have any help will be appreciated. Oh and don't worry on budget this will be a long term build as I'm looking to not have to build another PC for a long time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:25 AM

yes actually, ATI had quad crossfire support long before NVIDIA did. (at least available, you could get a quad sli system back in the day but you practically had to make the board and write the software yourself) I have nothing against nVidia persay, but I do prefer my ATI cards because I think you have a lot beter bang for your buck. Also, with most ATI cards they dont have to be the exact same card-just the same series, and ATI has hybrid support with some motherboards, meaning you can actually crossfire the integrated graphics with the dedicated ones. cool feature. and personally, if your set on a i7 I would just save your money up and buy the i7, its a far better chip then the i5 is. but thats just my opinion.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info patriot, I agree that atm ATI has better cards however, that phys-x dedicated card is sorta the turning point in my decision. Also I'm not buying these cards immediately so I could very well go with either company down the road I'm just gathering info right now so that when I do buy my first card I won't quickly regret the decision. Also I'm building two systems right now so regardless of what processor I buy now I'll be buying another soon. Oh I forgot to ask what would be a decent power supply wattage for my gaming rig?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:31 AM

well, if your planning on a crossfire/SLI setup, most require a MINIMOM of 550-600 watts, though I tend to like breathing room I would recomend a 750+ watt PSU if not a 850. Modular PSUs are very nice because you can remove excess cables allowing more breathing room and better cable management, but normally cost a little more. ANTEC makes a good modular PSU, and so does kingwin from what ive heard. Coolermaster, OCZ and Corsair also make good PSUs if you dont want a modular one. Another thing to keep a eye on is the amperage on the psus, particularly the +12v rails. the more the better, and if you dont have enough it could cause problems. theres 2 different methods out there, some PSUs have a single 12v. rail, in which case your probably going to want it to put out at least 30 amps if not more, others use multiple rails. I typically prefer multiple rails in my performance rigs-I usually go with a 4 rail setup with at least 18amps per rail.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Wow...I did the newegg psu wattage calculator with the ending build and it came up to a suprising 1141W :thumbsup: Now thats with an i7, a highend mobo, 2 gtx 295's, 2 combo disc drives, 2 4Gb sticks of DDR3 ram, and 2 7200 rpm HDD's. After looking at the PSU's available I decided to get this. Seems like a great PSU with room for any and everything a PC could have.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

wow thats a lot of power lol though Like I said, I like breathing room if it says 1141 watts, I would say go with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817171029 neweggs wattage calculators pretty accurate. :D

Edited by the_patriot09, 07 February 2010 - 10:56 PM.

picard5.jpg

#7 soulesskiller21

soulesskiller21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hmm A modular PSU would cut down on the wires a lot seems like a good pick to me. What would be a good way to stream movies to all the tv's in a home?? I was thinking a wireless player but was wondering if there was a better solution.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

never really played with that. I know some tvs are coming with wireless connections now that you can connect them to a home network, a wireless player would work to. not sure though like I said ive never really played with that.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users