Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Redirection Virus / Malware Problem.. Please Help...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stoner66

stoner66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

HI there

I have been trawling the net for some kind of answer to a problem that's causing me some serious headache. I seem to have been infected with a virus or malware causing a redirection of my browser when I click on a link on any search site. The problem is affecting IE and Firefox.

I have only had this problem a couple of days now but have tried several things to remove it so far with no success. To date I have tried the following:

Windows Defender
Spybot search and destroy
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v8.7.0.1

I have also run the HijackThis tool but didn't check any of the boxes for fix after.

With more frustration I then searched the net (as best as poss copy pasting web address's into the address bar) and found many people have been infected by this virus which I think is more likely several similar viruses some easier to remove than others.. I then came across this site and ComboFix.

I'm an IT project manager and have a very good understanding of computers and networking in general and don't normally get stumped by computer problems but this one has defeated me..

I have read the forum and understand it's better to post my nightmare here before running ComboFix or other tests without some guidance.

This for me couldn't have come at a worse time as I have a very important job interview on Tuesday and need to look up lots of things to prepare for my interview and this search redirection problem is breaking me..

I also checked my host file and removed a dodgy entry and although it hasn't returned the problem still persists.. That was a long shot but now I'm at a loss for the next step and beg some assistance..

I'm concerned my personal data or password data may be at risk so I have not been to any sites like eBay or internet banking etc but that is causing me more problems.. My firewall NAT log does not show any kind of DOS attack.

I hope my info is useful in the first instance and can provide anything else required as I really don't want to have to reinstall windows at the moment if poss.

I look forward to any help as the logs on tools like HijackThis and Combofix mean very little to me in the way of diagnostics.

FYI

My system details are as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7100 Build 7100
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Compaq 6710b (GR680ET#ABU)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68DDU Ver. F.10, 11/01/2008
Locale United Kingdom
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Many thanks in advance..

Alfie

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 February 2010 - 11:05 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stoner66

stoner66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

Hi

To add to this today I installed and ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (details below) and this again found no malware or anything rogue on my machine.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3697

I'm conscious installing loads of Spyware/Malware products is not really helping and that this isn't a standard infection but something more robust which requires expert help.

I have attached my log file from MalwareBytes and will await further help before doing anything else.
Is anyone able to confirm if this infection is likely to harvest my personal/pwd data from my infected laptop??

Another point to mention is that on occasion my browser stops responding and crash's. Although IE recovers this is a pain and usually happens when I type in a URL into the IE address bar. It also happens if I select 'Open in new TAB'

Alfie

Edited by stoner66, 06 February 2010 - 12:43 PM.

#3 stoner66

stoner66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Database version: 3697
Windows 6.1.7100
Internet Explorer 8.0.7100.0

06/02/2010 14:45:14
mbam-log-2010-02-06 (14-45-14).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 257684
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 7 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 stoner66

stoner66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

WOW... SUCESS..!!

After trying everything within reason on the net to try and remove this virus and registering with several forums and searching the net via a web proxy I came accross an app called hitman pro 3.5 and like all the other I thought this one was another red herring.

This was my final chance before I had resigned myself to formatting my laptop.. I guess you could call me impatient after only a couple of days misery but what the hell. My life is online and I didn’t want anyone stealing it!!

I downloaded, installed and ran Hitman Pro 3.5 and just like all the others it didn't seem to answer any more questions just another dead end.. I closed the program and opened up Firefox to find my search's working fine. In amazement I then tried IE and found that to be ok too..

I tried rebooting and everything is now fine.

You can try Hitman here: http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

Hitman Pro doesn't have loads of settings like all the others you simply install and run. It's worth a look in any chance if you're as stuck as me.

Hope this helps anyone else in my position.

To date I tried the following tools to resolve my problems; some out of complete frustration just before I formatted my machine... Happy I didn't have to in the end.. :

Windows Defender
Spybot search and destroy
McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v8.7.0.1
HijackThis
ComboFix

I tried running an online virus scan with Symantec (another long shot)

Finally the only thing to have helped was Hitman Pro 3.5

If my rant in any way helps anyone else I'm pleased..

Edited by stoner66, 06 February 2010 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users