Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with Google redirect, and another problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Larry Hancock

Larry Hancock

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

I have two serious problems with my computer. I do not know which should be tackled first.

The one problem has been encountered many times here. The second is a bit more complicated.

Please let me know if I should be posting this message elsewhere and having the second problem handled first.

Ah, before I start.. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

Problem #1 - Google search redirect
A problem, similar to many on here.... my google searches are being hijacked. When I do a google search and click on a result, I am taken to a different search page. However, if I right click on the search link instead, I can open the proper search result in a new tab or window. I also have browser windows pop up periodically. I believe this is all part of the same problem.

Problem #2 - More complex.
My computer reboots itself every half hour or so. I receive a message saying that the Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then I eventually get another window informing me that my computer is going to shut down and restart in 60 seconds because DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER service has terminated.

When I let this process complete itself, or if I go to the start button and tell the computer to restart itself, the problem occurs again approximately 32 minutes later - it is fairly consistent. However, if I have turned the computer off, then this problem appears less than 5 minutes after the computer has been started, and then the 32 minute cycle begins.

Now, I may have brought this problem on myself. Here is what happened.

I have had Problem #1 for a couple of months now, and have been living with it so far. Once a week AVG does a complete scan of my computer. It THINKS it can get rid of the problem and needs to reboot to try to do so. However, it never succeeds and so sometimes I do not reboot, but rather just keep using the computer until I have some other reason to reboot. On the evening of Friday January 29, I downloaded an automatic update from Microsoft and needed to reboot for that. My Problem #2 began immediately after my computer started up again. Problem #2 might be solely because of the Microsoft update, or it could be because of two updates doing things that each other did not like, or it could be unrelated to any of this.

Assistance would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry Hancock

Larry Hancock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

I believe I will no longer need help with this problem. Last night (Feb 9) I downloaded some more updates from Microsoft and then rebooted my computer. The same problem occurred (rebooting on its own), but MORE updates were offered to me. I downloaded them as well, and rebooted again. Now, my computer will not work at all. I get a momentary flash of a blue screen, but so fast that I have no hope of reading what is on it. I am then told my computer has a problem and offered to enter windows normally, or in three different safe modes, or with last known working configuration. Regardless of which option I choose, I get the fast blue screen and right back to teh same options screen.

So I am going to have to reinstall my Windows XP and start all over again.

*sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users