Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full backup HDD to CD's??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Hi all!

Dell Optiplex GX110, Wn XP-Pro Sp3, with Slysoft Clone CD and I think Roxio software.

Need to do some registry editing & other stuff and want to do full backup my hard drive, copy the whole thing. I don't have a 2nd HDD drive to mirror to. Can I do a full backup into my optical drive CD player?

I have 12.1Gb of stuff on the drive, and purchased Verbatim 4x DVD+RW 4.7Gb CD's ten pack.

Disc Drive is a Memorex 52MAXX3252AJ, also have a spare 48X LG CRD-8482B. I guess I can write to one of these? Machine also has an Iomega Zip 100 drive, but no media for that right now. If that's much better to use then I'd try to get media.

No idea how to do this, any suggestions?

THANKS!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Backup possibilities...are totally dependent on the software used to do the backup. There is no standard.

Pick/find a program that does what you want, how you want it.

Louis

#3 double_d

double_d

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

You may need something like Nero or Roxio to record to multiple DVD's. With Windows7, you don't need Roxio or Nero. I had XP before and had trouble burning to multiple DVD's. But, what the hell do I know? If you have a real lot of files you can burn up a lot of DVD's real fast.

#4 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

Thanks...
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:02 AM

Usb Flash drive's are a good option instead of CD's,and they come in lots of sizes,prices seem to be dropping all the time (16GB=40.00 usd :thumbsup:

Edited by sleepwalker, 06 February 2010 - 03:13 AM.

#6 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks, good idea. Unfortunately I'm already stretched pretty thin right now, so it's a 'run what ya brung' proposition, I'm sure you guys have been there! My, how very nice if folks would just pay me for the work I did, LAST YEAR!!

I'll check out USB Flash drives, maybe...$$

I downloaded Ashampoo Burning Studio last nite, supposedly the right choice for those like me with little patience or advanced skills. Hoping for the best and I'll just pray a lot if that's my only option :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Edited by Spectacle, 06 February 2010 - 12:38 PM.

#7 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Okay, thanks for assistance!

Now, as mentioned I have 12Gb of files to transfer. Problem is, I got hurt bad >

[Please, ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW MSDS Directions with any chemicals, folks! That is, even if your employer does/will not provide them or tells you, "Oh, nothing to worry about, that stuff is as safe as baby's milk...", > > > DON'T USE THE CHEMICALS!

and can't remember complex operations anymore. Thank God I'm no longer completely paralyzed, blind, deaf and dumb, and can finally recognize myself in a mirror etc...!

Soooo, I have absolutely no idea how to perform such an operation. Last nite I even got frustrated not being able to figure out how to access /system32/ files to look at them. Easily confused & overwhelmed here.

Any suggestions where I could find some step by step guidance on the actual operation of transferring all this data? I do not know how to find & select what must be huge file groups to transfer in a bundle from HDD through Ashampoo to CD's.

Sorry, I know that's asking a lot, but this old cowboy is clueless, yet I'm not going to give up just because it's a challenge. We LOVE A CHALLENGE, right?!!!!

Thank you.....

Edited by Spectacle, 06 February 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#8 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

A-Shampoo is a great burning program,I use it all the time.I backup everything to DVD's.holds about 4.7 Gigs,Tony.

#9 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, and yes, heard nothing but good about Ashamppo software. Just need to do some more research I guess.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users