Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade my sound card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zomolomo

Zomolomo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

Hi all,
About a year ago, I trashed my onboard sound card and decided to leap into the world of higher grade PCI sound cards.

After much research, I decided to get the HTO Striker 7.1 as I thought that the build quality and specs at the price was a great find. I installed it and has been working great for me but now an itching once again to upgrade.

I saw the Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card and like the fact that it has the front panel included which is very nice.

My question would be; has anyone tried both of these cards and is it worth it for me to invest into this card? Is there much difference between the two (other than the obvious) with respect to sound quality that would make it worth it for me to dish out the additional cash?

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks
Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

I have not personally tried this card. But, being the "Power Hound" that I am, I love maxing out my system till it can't be maxed out any more.
If you have the money to spare go for it!
I wish my system had PCI-E. I see a lot of cards I'd love to put in my system but can't. :thumbsup:
Just my 2 cents worth my friend.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

User preference.

I stopped buying soundcards when onboard sound became acceptable with faster, stronger CPUs. I keep my old Creative cards, just in case.

Louis

Edit: I'm not an audiophile in any sense of the word, I don't game, and I have very simple tastes/desires when using a computer.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

I use the X-FI Platnium sound card. It sounds amazing and records amazing. IMO onboard sound is lack luster and does not record well. I use my card to convert old tapes, records and such to MP3 and Wav files. No other sound card on the market records at the level of the X-FI if that is what your into. Plus the X-FI can use ASIO drivers if your a seroius audiophile or record instruments through your PC. Gaming sound is amazing as well. The X-FI is also THX certified which goes great with my THX certified logitech surround sound speakers!
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users