Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:31 PM

ok im a vista user, but my mom has XP on her desktop. i want to know how to get to the startup menu...so i can make sure kaspersky virus removal tool wont pop up with the start up.

thanks for any help =)
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Install then take a look at the Logon tab only.

Just curious why you would want to prevent it from running at startup, seems like a good idea for an AV program to me.

Louis

#3 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

oh well this isnt the AV, this is just the virus removal tool. its compleatly free. its an extremly good program though but it slows down the computer when it starts up. and ill check that link out later when im on a PC...i dont like this mac lol.

and if there are any other ways id like to know those also, as a back up =)

#4 double_d

double_d

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

ok im a vista user, but my mom has XP on her desktop. i want to know how to get to the startup menu...so i can make sure kaspersky virus removal tool wont pop up with the start up.

thanks for any help =)

Go to start, go to run and type in msconfig and click on ok. You can see what is starting up automatically when you boot your computer. Just be careful what you shut off. Hope this helps, maybe you know this already.
Dave (double_d)

#5 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

lol ya ive known about msconfig...i just didnt think about it. ill check this out later tonight

thanks =)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

FWIW: Although some persons give this sort of advice all the time...it is not good advice, IMO.

a. Msconfig may not reflect all startup entries, be they in the registry or from files.

b. Msconfig is meant to be tool used for troubleshooting startup problems. Users who try to use it for other purposes may run into unanticipated consequences from their actions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Louis

#7 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:48 PM

yes i know that, i have had to use it to see why my computer was freezing when it started up (vista reg problems...i think) so ya..msconfig takes a long time to do anything though, constently restarting the computer...ill do it though lol.

thanks for the help =) im going to try msconfig to check that out, than im going to get that program.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

Agree with Louis.

System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) - Windows 9x/Me/2000/XP/Vista

Microsoft doesn't advocate the use of MSConfig for controlling which programs run when your computer starts:

For XP :- "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration.

It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

For Vista :- "The System Configuration utility finds and isolates issues.

However, it is not a startup management program."

For Windows 7 :- "System Configuration is intended to find and isolate problems;

But it's not meant as a startup management program".

Couldn't really be clearer for all systems.

The startup tab in msconfig is handy for a quick look, but you do need something else
such as AutoRuns for a complete rundown.

msconfig takes a long time to do anything though, constently restarting the computer

Is the OP in a msconfig loop, or just frustrated with having to reboot a lot.

#9 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

when i was having problems, i was given step by step instructions to find the sorce of the problem. so i had to reboot my computer like 30 times...and didnt find the problem. (later on i fixed the problem, its all good now lol)

well thanks for the help, im going to get the program later today to help me with the startup =)
im going to make a video with hypercam and give the video and program to my friend, so he knows what to do =)

thanks agin everyone =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users