Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printer Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

Laptop running XP Pro connected wirelessly to home network will not recognize the network printer. The laptop had been connected to the printer and was able to print just fine. It is 1 of 3 computers that are connected wirelessly to the network. The network consists of a wired Linksys router with 3 devices connected: 1. the printer, 2.a desktop running XP Home, and 3. a Linksys wireless access point. The 3 wireless PCs are this laptop, a desktop running Vista Home Premium and a desktop running Ubuntu 9.04. Occasionally, the wireless PCs lose contact with the printer and I always remedy the problem by reinstalling the printer and then deleting the previous installation. It seems the network sometimes changes the IP address of the printer. The wired PC never seems to have this problem. This happened yesterday and this remedy worked fine on the 2 wireless desktops but the laptop cannot find the printer when running the add a printer wizard. After selecting the network printer option and browse for a printer it only finds Microsoft Windows Network and if I click next it says I must add a valid network printer name. If I type HP Photosmart 2600 series (the name it had previously) and click next it says windows cannot connect to the printer either the name was typed incorrectly or the printer has lost its connection... The laptop connects to the internet just fine on the same network. I did not see a similar problem addressed in a search of this forum. Does anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum-MG

Edited by garmanma, 05 February 2010 - 12:33 PM.
Added to title

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

So the printer is connected via network cable?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...ectID=c01708573

If it is changing the ip address, make sure it is not set to dhcp for its address. You may be able to check and change this from the printer lcd menu screen. Set it to a static address in your network range (make sure it is not in your routers dhcp range to avoid address conflicts, some routers dhcp implementations are dumb)

Or you could hook it up to the ubuntu box via usb and make it into a print-server. It will no longer be on a standard ip port but it should share via samba and with some models allowing postscript printing.

#3 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

The printer is connected to the router via ethernet network cable. The problem only occurs on rare occasion and the fix is usually only a minor inconvenience. This time though it worked for both the Vista and the Ubuntu machines but the XP laptop is just not finding the printer.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...;product=421130
The above is the network diagnostic utility for your model.

If I remember correctly, xp does not find network printers like vista, w7 and osx if they are actual ip printers, you have to create a standard ip port and connect the printer to that port.

If you know the static ip of the printer, ping it and then browse to it and see if it answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users