Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Information from an XP PC to Windows 7 PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

I currently have an XP computer and I just bought a laptop running W7. What are the options for transferring all of my Doc, Pics, email, Programs over the the new computer. My plan is to make an image file of the XP computer using Acronis onto an external Hard drive and then transfer everything from that. Is there devices which will connect the two computers and take out the extra step of going through the External HD. What is the best way to transfer all of the outlook email folders, contacts etc.. is it true that you can only use outlook for one email account through one PC. I feel like I read somewhere that you can't use two computer's for one email through outlook (doesn't sound right). How does the programs work. I guess I would need two product key's if I install a program on two different PC's. Hindsight - If I was to uninstall a program on the 1st computer and reinstall it on the second computer. Would that mean that I could use the same serial # and not need two serial #. I would appreciate any imput on my above questions. Thanks. Craig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

There are generally two options for moving data (documents, pictures, etc.) from one computer to another.

1st option: Copy the data (NOT move!) to an external device (typically an external hard drive), then copy from the external to the new computer.

2nd option: If you have the computers on a network, you can share the files on the first PC with the second PC. This would then allow you to copy the files straight over the network (on the second computer (W-7), drag them out of the shared folder on the first computer (XP) and drop them somewhere on the second computer's hard drive).

It depends on the speed of your network versus the speed of your external device. The computer hard drives drop out of the equation, as in both cases, they are being read and written to the same (the only variable is the method of copying). Like this: XP > W-7 (over the network), or XP > external > W-7

It really doesn't matter which you use. It's typically easier to copy over the network (as you don't have to fiddle with the external device), but it can be slower (especially if you have problems sharing the files, as it often happens). I've heard of "transfer cables" that can connect one PC directly to another, but I would guess that they cost a bit of $$$. If you have an external hard drive or network, use one of those instead of buying something you would only use once. :huh:

That being said, I noticed in your post that you mentioned transferring Programs to your new computer. Just copying the Program Files from one to the other is not an option (backing up with Acronis, then restoring would not work either). You will have to install those programs the same way you installed them on the original computer (whether it be CD, DVD, downloaded .exe, etc..). You cannot simply copy them over. That does not install them. You must install them like you did before (on the XP machine). Note: there may be a few XP programs that do not work on Windows 7 (but that's for another thread).

As for your Outlook problem, I do not use it, so I can not give advice on that issue. But there are many knowledgeable people in this forum that can help you with that. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 05 February 2010 - 12:15 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

keyboardNinja,

Thanks for all of your good advice answering my questions.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

You're welcome! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

I'm new to 7. I did find something in W7 that just might help you. In W7 start and type in transfer. You will have a lot of options.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ee530027.aspx This site might also help. Watch the video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users