Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware tools

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buggsy

buggsy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

On my computer I may have too many spyware tools downloaded . I have Malwarebytes anti-spyware,Windows Defender , AD-Ware .Spy bot and zone alarm . I also have AVG free antivirus .

My computer seems to be working fairly well , it may stumble some but my main concern is that when I turn my PC on in the morning it will take 15 Minutes more or less to boot up .

I am careful of sites I visit but I have had other family members use it .

Do i need to remove some of the tools ? do I have too many installed ?

Also when I run spybot and do Imunize it will come up that all was imunized but like 20 that may be caused by AVG Keeping them from being Imunized .

I delete cookies temp and history regulary .

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 February 2010 - 03:42 PM.
Moved to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

This is definitely overkill. Safe practices and common sense are far more important than piling on security software, so you should try to educate the other members of your family first. See Gizmo's Guide to Securing Your PC, Safe Computing in Under an Hour, Safe Web Practices and How to Stop 11 Hidden Security Threats. Also, you should make a Limited User Account for the other users, and if you do not find it too troublesome, for yourself as well. This will greatly reduce the chance of infection.

You should definitely remove Windows Defender and Adaware. You can keep Spybot if you wish (though personally I do not really see the point of it) but I suggest you turn off the real-time protection and use it for its Immunize feature and for scanning on-demand. I assume you're using MBAM free and ZoneAlarm free? MBAM is good, but personally I believe the need for an outbound firewall is over-stated, particularly if you have other users who probably cannot understand the alerts given and so I suggest Windows Firewall is good. AVG is not bad as such, but IMHO there are better alternatives in Avast free and Microsoft Security Essentials free.

Edited by Someones, 05 February 2010 - 06:57 PM.

#3 buggsy

buggsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:07 PM

On this BC , website it says that antimalware defender is bad . What I would like to know is , Is this the same as Windows Defender . I see theylook just alike except one has Antimalware Defender and the one on my computer is Windows Defender, But they look exactlt the same .

Also I have noticed that evdo.leapwireless.net has been repeatedly trying to access my PC .
And a BIG THANKS FOR the hepl.

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

They're not the same. Antimalware defender is a rogue anti-spyware scanner, so it's not legitimate.

As for protection, generally, you'd be better off with what Someones said, minus removing Zonealarm (assuming you're only using it for the firewall).

I'm not exactly sure what evdo.leapwireless.net is. At best, it could just be your internet provider pinging you. At worst, it could be malware from an ad if certain websites are pinging you for it. An expert may come around and help you with that better than I can.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Windows Defender is the Microsoft Anti-Spyware application.
Antimalware Defender is a rogue security program. Removal instructions can be found here

Edited by xblindx, 07 February 2010 - 12:57 PM.

#6 buggsy

buggsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Those two look just alike . I saw the pictures on here and noticed it was identicle as windows defender except for the name .For a moment I thought I had messed up .

Here lately my antivirus AVG has been detecting " overture tracking cookie " .It won't heal so I send it to the vault every time 3 times in total over three day period .

Thank for ALL your help .

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Follow the removal instructions in the link I provided above and you should be able to get rid of the infection, if you need more help removing it, just post a topic in the Am I Infected? area of the forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users