Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 grumpy567

grumpy567

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:16 AM

I have a problem with my hard drive, and i'm hoping someone can help me. I just installed a sata hdd, and I enabled it in the bios. At first it came up and was working fine. But I wanted to wipe it clean because it was used before. Instead of formatting it I used a program calles Easeus Partion manager and erased one of the partitions, and now i cannot create a new one. Posted Image
In this picture system reserved I and Local Disk J are from the new drive that i added. Drive J doesnt show the amount of space that it has, and when i try to use easeus partition master or the windowsdisk management it just hangs for a while but when it does come up i see this. Posted Image
and then after clicking ok. Posted Image
Ty, for any help.

Edited by grumpy567, 05 February 2010 - 07:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

Go to Disk Management and post a screenshot of what is reflected, without the interfering error message. Showing screens from My Computer serves no useful purpose.

I see a 500GB hard drive which is not partitioned in the first graphic, I see the same thing in the second graphic.

Please don't refer to SATA/PATA...as identifying features. Use the hard drive stated size, which is reflected in Disk Management..

I guess that I don't know what you are asking.

The 500GB drive needs to be formatted/partitioned in order to be used.

The original hard drive...seems to have partitions that are neither FAT nor NTFS.

Louis

#3 grumpy567

grumpy567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Yeah i realized it needs formatting and partitioning but i cannot do it. When i connect the 500 GB hard drive, my computer starts to run slow.
It starts up slow and when i go to My Computer and try to right click and format i cannot because it starts to slow down and the drop down menu does not appear. When i go to disk management it also takes a long time to show up. It took about 30 mins one time.

When or if disk manager opens i will send you the scrn shot you asked for.

The original hard drive is formatted with NTFS.

Edited by grumpy567, 05 February 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#4 grumpy567

grumpy567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Disk management finally opened after about 20 mins. Here is the screen shot you asked for. When i try to mark the partition as active it says "The request could not be performed as an I/O device error" I also tried to Format it and nothing happened and the it said not responding at the top. Posted Image

Edited by grumpy567, 05 February 2010 - 02:24 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Im a bit confused as to why I see 39 Mb of unallocated space at the beginning of hard drive C:\ Usually any unallocated disk space is at the end of the boot drive.

Also disk I and disk J are RAW data, there is neither NTFS or FAT32 partitions on these drives as stated by hamluis.

I think wiping those drives along with deleting the partitions is needed, you can set the partitions when you reinstall your O/S.

You should delete the partitions on the other drives and start over again.

Once you have one primary drive bootable with windows, you can right click the other drives and format them with NTFS.

Because your present partitions are RAW data and are neither FAT32 or NTFS.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 February 2010 - 02:51 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

Well...I think you need to consider whether this 500GB drive...is actually functional.

"Previously used" is often "previously damaged" when hardware items are given away without having seen known functionality.

I suggest running a disk diagnostic on it (long test), the diagnostic is available from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Louis

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Well...I think you need to consider whether this 500GB drive...is actually functional.

"Previously used" is often "previously damaged" when hardware items are given away without having seen known functionality.

I suggest running a disk diagnostic on it (long test), the diagnostic is available from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Louis

I totally agree with you and second this suggestion.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 grumpy567

grumpy567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

I decided to use Easeus again to try and create the new partition. It works it just takes a long time to do it. My computer has been on for about 5 hours now and it is at 81% an is still moving slow. I am going to let it finish and see if it works then. If not i guess its a bad drive and i will try the diagnostic tool to make sure.

Edited by grumpy567, 06 February 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

FWIW:

As I said, I am familiar with Easeus Partition Manager/Master.

It should not take 5 hours for it to do anything on a hard drive, IME.

XP's Disk Management will partition a 500GB hard drive in less than 2 hours and I find Easeus to be a bit faster than Disk Managment.

Louis

#10 grumpy567

grumpy567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

I think i am just going to give up on this drive. It still hasn't finished in easeus, i will cancel it. But thanks to the both of you for your help.

Edited by grumpy567, 06 February 2010 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users