Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010 reinstalled, refuses to die this time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Starling

Starling

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hi! Long-time reader, first-time poster (although probably not the first person to use that line). I'm using my laptop right now, but the infected computer is a Gateway 504GR running Windows XP SP2.

The first time IS2010 installed itself on my computer, I used rkill and MBAM to get rid of it, and that seemed to work.

Two weeks later, I was browsing and it installed itself again.

However, I couldn't make the rkill file run in Safe Mode with networking. I rebooted to regular mode, discovered I couldn't access rkill or MBAM in regular mode and transferred them via USB to the desktop's desktop from my clean laptop.

I ran rkill. Rkill posted a log like it did the last week I used it, but this time, after about a minute, IS2010 came back and started its fake scan again.

I tried to run MBAM-setup.exe. That did nothing but bring up IS2010 again. I tried running the already installed version from my start menu. Nothing.

I was hoping I was immunized from this btard malware last time. I guess not. My assumption is that because MBAM was already installed, the virus immunized itself against it, but I didn't think it was clever enough to trick rkill as well. rkill thinks it worked when it didn't. I turned the computer off becuase even on the login user screen, the computer seemed to be thinking hard (making more noise), more than normal on that screen. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

<<I was hoping I was immunized from this btard malware last time.>>

The same computing habits...often yield the same results.

If you have correctly followed the procedures contained in the Removal Guide and still have problems...I suggest you take note of the "If you are still having problems" line in the Removal Guide.

Remove Internet Security 2010 (Uninstall Guide) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

One of our malware forums is the proper place for dealing with such malware situations.

Louis

#3 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

I had this same problem a week ago with my daughter's laptop. I first tried running msconfig and removing IS2010 from the list of start up items and after that it still didn't work so I ended up doing a repair install of the OS. A repair install doesn't format your drive but it does return your OS back to the state of it's original install (if you bought the PC with SP2 than it goes back to SP 2) your documents and settings remain intact however. THat was the only thing that worked to get rid of it for me. After the repair install I then used mbam to remove the threat.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#4 Starling

Starling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

After rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking, for some reason MBAM was able to install, run, and "remove" IS2010. Unfortunately, I now have a different problem with the inability to run free-standing executable (exe) files, as in the computer wants to use another previously installed program to run them. I'll post a new topic for that if needed.

I'm still not sure IS2010 is really gone, though, so I'd still appreciate advice from other forum members like Baloo as to possible solutions.

The only thing I have done since the original post is to run MBAM on Safe Mode with Networking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users