Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Roof Antenna Angle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maximianusherculius

maximianusherculius

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:13 AM

Is it crucial that I point my wireless signal receiver that is on the roof directly at my ISP's towers.

What angle should it be at? Straight at them? Facing up a little? The ISP tower is less than 6 miles away.

My DIRECTV dish is only a few feet away and will partially block a direct aim to the tower. Should I face it where it is actually facing part of the DIRECTV dish in order to face it directly at my ISP's tower? Will the tv signal or dish interfere with my wireless internet performance?

I am happy with my speeds right now, but I wonder how much better it can get by tweaking the roof top receiver?

EDIT: Moved your topic from the HJT forum to a more appropriate place ~ Elise
EDIT 2: This is more of a hardware issue, moved to External Hardware-MG

Edited by garmanma, 05 February 2010 - 11:18 AM.

Windows XP Professional 2002 sp3 32bit (ACPI Multiprocessor PC); Google Chrome and Mozilla w/Keyscramble
Processors: Twin Dual Core E5200's @ 2.5 GHz & 2 GB of RAM;..... MOTHERBOARD: INTEL
Hard Drive: Seagate 240GB ST3250310AS;..... SECURITY: Realtime is Avira (free) and Online Armor (free)
DVD/CD Drive: ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P;..... MALWARE Scanners: MBAM, SAS
WIRELESS: Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter;..... DISPLAY Adaptors: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

I am happy with my speeds right now, but I wonder how much better it can get by tweaking the roof top receiver?

EDIT: Moved your topic from the HJT forum to a more appropriate place ~ Elise
EDIT 2: This is more of a hardware issue, moved to External Hardware-MG

Two things come to mind. Wouldn't this be a better question for your ISP to answer since they know best how their signal is disbursed and received on their equipment? Two, what sort of signal measurement equipment would you be using while on the roof to gauge your 'tweaks'? Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth to possibly run up and down the ladder 20+ times 'tweaking and then running less than accurate random speed tests. Especially if as you say you are "I am happy with my speeds right now".

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 maximianusherculius

maximianusherculius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

It would be one quick adjustment. The direction I need to point it is partially blocked by the DIRECTV dish. I do not know what that will do to my incoming wireless signal.

My ISP is very hard to get a hold of.

The whole idea is to completely understand all of the scenarios so I don't need to go up there 20 times. My roof is treacherous .
Windows XP Professional 2002 sp3 32bit (ACPI Multiprocessor PC); Google Chrome and Mozilla w/Keyscramble
Processors: Twin Dual Core E5200's @ 2.5 GHz & 2 GB of RAM;..... MOTHERBOARD: INTEL
Hard Drive: Seagate 240GB ST3250310AS;..... SECURITY: Realtime is Avira (free) and Online Armor (free)
WIRELESS: Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter;..... DISPLAY Adaptors: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

Personally if you are happy with the status quo then I would leave it alone. Your DirecTV dish may interfere with your wireless signal so I would think that it's not worth the risk toyour health and safety to try to get a couple of more Mbps out of your connection.
Just my opinion though it's ultimately up to you.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#5 maximianusherculius

maximianusherculius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Point well taken. I do tend to get a little obsessive about getting that extra little bit sometimes. I am a performance freak I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users