Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice for buying a desktop =)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wtfhelpmeplz

wtfhelpmeplz

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

I was wondering if anyone could give me some good advice. I need to buy a new computer. I've decided to get a desktop over laptop. The guys at Best Buy recommended an Asus. But I wanted to ask around before I bought one.
I need the computer for school. Nothing special, just typing papers... doing research online and the occasional software I might need for a course. I watch movies and tv shows online too, so whatever makes that work better. And I take a lot of pictures with my digital camera but I can store those externally. Im not into gaming, but have thought about buying some children games for my son. basically thats it.
Is best buy the best place? What about the extended warranty/coverage thing they offer if you buy something?
Since I'll be using the comp for basic stuff does Asus still apply as the best or for the things I'll be doing will something else be just as fine?
And if Asus is the choice, what model is best for the littlest money for what I need to do?
Im a full time college student so I can't just go crazy spending money on something...but I want something that is a good machine and reliable.
:blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

Just my opinion, but I like Dell. I have dealt with a lot of different manufactures support and Dell is the easiest to deal with.
Their website makes a difference also, if your computer is under warranty you can chat with their support.
I am constantly helping friends who have taken their computers to Best Buy.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:58 AM

Do not buy the mini-tower model of any brand
They might be easier to move around and in close quarters it might save some room, but they are troublesome
If recovery disks come with the unit, lock them up and treat them like gold. If you need to make them, do it right away
That said, I like Dells also. I'm not a big fan of Best Buy, but with careful shopping you should do OK
The only item I would buy an extended warranty for would be a laptop
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

Asus products seem to be very good stat wise for the money. I've not owned one of their prebuilt machines, but their motherboards and video cards that i've used seem to be very well made so I'm assuming they use the same quality in their assembled computers.

If I were to buy one, I would consider an Asus for sure. That, or an HP. I've had great luck with HP laptops in the past.

I do usually buy the extended warranty yes. I do like the peace of mind factor, even if I dont get to use it at all. I especially agree with the comment above on getting it on a laptop.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

Keep an eye on the Dell site, they have some great buys and like mentioned above good support. I also like the ASUS, not sure about their support.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

I was wondering if anyone could give me some good advice. I need to buy a new computer. I've decided to get a desktop over laptop. The guys at Best Buy recommended an Asus. But I wanted to ask around before I bought one.
I need the computer for school. Nothing special, just typing papers... doing research online and the occasional software I might need for a course. I watch movies and tv shows online too, so whatever makes that work better. And I take a lot of pictures with my digital camera but I can store those externally. Im not into gaming, but have thought about buying some children games for my son. basically thats it.
Is best buy the best place? What about the extended warranty/coverage thing they offer if you buy something?
Since I'll be using the comp for basic stuff does Asus still apply as the best or for the things I'll be doing will something else be just as fine?
And if Asus is the choice, what model is best for the littlest money for what I need to do?
Im a full time college student so I can't just go crazy spending money on something...but I want something that is a good machine and reliable.
:blink:

Just a personal opinion... "Best Buy" ... isn't!
(actually, the same thing applies to (or applied to as most have folded up) Circuit City, CompUSA, Future Shop, etc)

I'm probably too harsh here, but I've watched folks get buffaloed into buying way more than needed in these stores for years. Supposedly Best Buy( et al) no longer have those special deals (for the salesperson) to move such-and-such hardware, but I'm still leery of them.

But.. go into any store with your eyes open. Look things over, check prices, etc. *Don't buy* right then, even if they make you an offer that looks too good. Do the usual online research, then make up your mind.

As far as ASUS computers, I don't know how those fare. I've been using ASUS motherboards for years, and have recently come to love their LCD monitors.

Don't buy a computer based on the "software bundle". It used to be that the software was *full* versions, but nowadays most of it's "trialware". You said "school", you probably have access to deeply discounted "academic" software packages thru them. There's also "free" and/or opensource stuff like Open Office, etc.

As for extended warrantees, it's a crapshoot. Most "real" failures happen within the regular manufacturer's warrantee period. Personally, I'd only get the EW only on hi-damage items like laptops, and then only if it's a "fast replace" version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users