Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with removing "hips_cc.msi"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brownridge

brownridge

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

I recently started getting a Windows Installer dialog box popping up, trying to install some sort of program that requires this "hips_cc.msi" file and Installer can't find it. The installer box just keeps popping up every few seconds no matter how many times you close it with the cancel button. I feel from all that I've looked at on the net, that this is somehow connected to the CA Antivitus Suite I have installed. Anyone have this problem or know a fix for it? First time poster, Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

Do\did you have CA Security Suite installed?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors that might shed some more light on the problem.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 brownridge

brownridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

Budapest, Wow, what a list the event viewer came up with. Very lengthy. This is one of the most often listed events:

MSI Installer: Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80070422

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

Sounds to me as if the CA software needs to be uninstalled.

Louis

#6 brownridge

brownridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Louis, I did an uninstall and re-installed CA Antivirus Suite, shut off all hips services in msconfig and still have the problem.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#8 brownridge

brownridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

OK, here is the file you ask me to get.

Attached Files

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

Try to uninstall CA Security completely.
Depending on your version...
Uninstaller for CA Internet Security Suite 2007 & 2008: http://homeofficekb.ca.com/CIDocument.asp?...0&KDId=3153
Uninstaller for CA Internet Security Suite 2009: http://homeofficekb.ca.com/CIDocument.asp?...04C806F3CE0ADAE
Install fresh copy.

My Website

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

Budapest, Wow, what a list the event viewer came up with. Very lengthy. This is one of the most often listed events:

Can you please post the full details of this error.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 brownridge

brownridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

Can you please post the full details of this error.

Budapest, thank you for all the help. I finally gave up and did a clean install. I did learn that this "problem" is a Trojan that goes by "CA Pest Patrol something. Not sure what the last word was. The program was in my add/remove in the control panel but there was no remove button,hmmm. Well, all is well again and thank you for your input. Butch.

#12 RJ45

RJ45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:22 PM

This msi installer is hiding inside the hidden folder named installer under the windows directory. Turn on hidden files to see this folder. There are a ton of installers in here so to find the one that is launching hipscc at logon search the registry by typing hipscc. On one of the entries it will show you the name of the installer. Go to that folder and delete them. Get rid of any registry entries that have to do with CA Security and the associated hipscc installer. Also disable and remove any windows services related to hipscc. Restart the computer and you will be good.

Edited by RJ45, 01 October 2010 - 11:26 PM.

#13 James G

James G

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

:thumbsup: I tried all the solutions that have put me here and nothing worked, but the only thing that helped me remove that tremendous annoyance was the program: Revo Uninstaller Pro is the recommend :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users