Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On-Demand Anti-Spyware Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ccnavin72

ccnavin72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

I need some info/suggestions on anti-spyware programs...
I've been reading up on a variety of programs, but my eyes are now beginning to cross. I am hoping you all can help. :thumbsup:

I want to replace Ad-Aware - which I used for years – with something else. It just seems to use more and more of my resources, and doesn’t seem to be catching much.
I need something I can run on-demand that won’t hog up my system resources when it scans. I also need it to be able to scan all user profiles during one scan without having to do each of them individually.
This is for my desktop pc that the kids use, which is a multimedia event in its own. :flowers:
Right now, I am running XP Media Edition, with Avast 4.8, Windows Defender as my resident, and am running WinPatrol. I have MBAM’s free-version that I run periodically, as well.
Any suggestions, ideas, or info. is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

MBAM free is one of the best on demand scanners, you can also use Superantispyware free and Hitman Pro (free for scanning). But IMHO, following safe computing practices are far more important than piling on on-demand scanners. See Gizmo's Guide to Securing Your PC, Safe Computing in Under an Hour, Safe Web Practices and How to Stop 11 Hidden Security Threats.

#3 ccnavin72

ccnavin72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

Thank you Someones :thumbsup: I've seen posts regarding Superantispyware, but am not familiar with Hitman Pro. I'll read up on both of them.

Thanks for posting the info links, too! I read them earlier today. I found that even though we are already doing many of the things suggested, there are several things that I was completely unaware of - I am going to read further into those, as well. The links are a GREAT source of info.!

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users