Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTauthority/system shutdown

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 quartertyme

quartertyme

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

I am running a Dell Dim 4700 with xp home ed. ver. 2002 with service pack 3 installed. My problem is that after about 15 minutes ONLINE a warning comes up that the machine needs to shut down and to save everything.....then verbiage comes up saying this is a "NTauthority\system.....restart because the DCOM server process launcher terminated unexpectedly"....... I am running Norton anti virus 2010, RegCure, and have recently downloaded Malware, HiJackthis, Spyware Dr.................to try and rid this from my computer before I throw it out the window. When it is not online, it does not reboot at all so I have to assume that it has something to do with being online. NONE of the AV programs found anything. I am using a Belkin router and a belkin n USB on the 4700. I would appreciate ANY advise I can get to cure this or I guess I will have to start over and reformat!!
Thanks for your help from this rookie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

I don't have a happy ending answer (yet!), but I read about the same thing and that you can keep your system from shutting down aborting the shutdown.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

shutdown -a

Click OK. This is sensible but does not solve the problem.

That may relieve some frustration.

What browser are you using? IE7, IE8, Firefox, etc.

You may need to move to the Am I Infected forum.

Did you also try SAS?

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Edited by joseibarra, 04 February 2010 - 08:03 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 quartertyme

quartertyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for that, I will try it. I am running firefox, I have run malwarebytes (is that the same as malware?) What is SAS? Should I dump all the others that I have downloaded first??
I appreciate your help and will try this and report back

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

MBAM = Malwarebytes = some people call it Malware but I wish they wouldn't.

SAS = SUPERAntiSypyware

Yes - I would suggest running them both. They are respectable, updated frequently, free and run on demand (nothing loads to slow you down later). I always start with MBAM and SAS.

I am not fond of Norton since sometimes people have performance issues with it and if you uninstall it, they have special instructions for that on the WWW site. I would just leave it for now so we don't change too many things at once.

No single malicious software tools seems to know about everything so you need to use more than one and some good ones. The other Internet things I read about this problem say people tried at least one or the other but I just want to be sure you run both.

Even if you use Firefox, you still have some version of IE installed, right? Check the help, about to see what version of IE.

Please provide additional information about your system:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste
the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to
be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

This will minimize back and forth Q&A and eliminate guesswork.

I will look some more for an incident like yours that ends with a happy ending instead of a bunch of trial and error that just fizzles out with no resolution.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 quartertyme

quartertyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Sorry I had to go out of town, I have run both SAS and malware to no avail, it is still shutting down. I am hurring to get this off before it shuts down.
I am on IE now on the affected machine, hope this is the info you wanted.
How do I find the IE info??
thanks

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name D59BN461
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dimension 4700
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 8/23/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name D59BN461\Randy
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.32 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.58 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

Your info looks good to me.

Did the shutdown -a not stop the shutdown process? I would like to know if that works so I can decide to pursue some other the Internet ideas.

Launch Internet Explorer, Help, About to see the version.

I will start looking for a definitive answer again. Maybe somebody else will have the magic bullet.

#7 quartertyme

quartertyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Shutdown -a does not seem to work. I tried it again this am and it has kicked off again. My wife said that when she was trying to work on the machine a notice from Norton popped up saying that it had a couple of attacked that were thwarted...............the IE is version 7.0.573.11 Update version 0
Hope this is helpful cause you are keeping my sanity!!!

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

This is a problem that is becoming so common all of a sudden that I am pretty much convinced it has to be caused be a virus of some sort. I do not know for certain that is the case, but it is the only thing that makes sense to me with the frequency this problem has been posted recently.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you quartertyme, but if it were my system, I would further investigate the possibilty of there being a virus or malware of some kind on the system

#9 quartertyme

quartertyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

When I got up this am the blue screen was on and it said "problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to protect your computer" page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

stop oxoooooo50

wonder if any of this could have to do with a fairly new installed belkin router and switching to a dsl from a cable. But my laptop is not affected at all!!

#10 quartertyme

quartertyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Took it to the "Geek Squad" today............mother board fried.................Thanks so much for all of your attempts, I really apprecaite your help.
Think I'll get a mini Hp or Dell for my wife to get e-mail.
Take care and thanks again
RT

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

Oh poop.

I hope it is not this personally unsustantiated thing I heard about yesterday. Remember, MS comes out with updates the second Tuesday of the month, (last Tuesday).

A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0x80097004, 0x00000001, 0x80515103, 0x00000000).

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...bc-e292b69f2fd1

Nobody yell at me for not checking around here before posting this - I will look now to find it.

Edited by joseibarra, 12 February 2010 - 06:46 AM.

#12 quartertyme

quartertyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, I will rehook up the computer just to see if that solution might work. The Geek Squad told me that the mother board was fried but I will give it a try. thanks for the info and hangin in there with me

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:52 AM

If your computer does not boot and generates that sypmptom - some seem not to after that update, you will have to uninstall the update using Recovery Console.

You can make a RC CD with these directions:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Some smart person came up with these instructions on how to use RC to uninstall the update KB977165:

We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation to resolve the blue
screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the other patches do not seem to cause the blue
screen behaviour and do not need to be uninstalled.

With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this
Microsoft article for help with this step)

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. When complete, type this command: exit

#14 quartertyme

quartertyme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

Tried it all............cd will not run so I guess it is fried. Any recommendations for a mini?? Dell or HP

#15 sarunk

sarunk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:47 AM

Before changing the hardware devices i would like to suggest few steps try if it is working.

1) While rebooting the computer right away start tapping the F8 key on the
keyboard.
2) When prompted with the Windows XP advanced startup options, select Safe Mode and
then press enter on the keyboard.
3)Trying to log in to default administrator account.
4) If the computer boots up to the desktop then click on Start>Run and type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter.
5) It will open device manager. Expand "Display Adaptor" and you would see the device under display adaptor. Right click on it and click on disable.
6) Try restarting the computer in normal mode and check.

If the computer boots up in safe mode. The is scope of trouble shooting so please replay.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users