Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu 9.10 64 Bit or 32

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 savyboy24

savyboy24

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

1) I want to partition my HP Pavillion DV 7 1260-US Laptop, for specs see link, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3860646 ,and dual boot Ubuntu with Win 7. My system is as 64 bit operating system. Should I install the 64 bit version of Ubuntu? In the Ubuntu pocket guide he said there were some compatibility issues with the 64 bit system but I was thinking since there was been some time since that was written that maybe these have resolved.

2) Also how much space should I give Ubuntu? I have a 451GB HD and use a lot of it most of the time right now I only have 100GB free.

3) My plan is to finish reading the Ubuntu pocket guide, run the live CD to check for bugs, prepare my system for Ubuntu then install and tweak!!! This sound good (i am new to this so just want to be sure)?

THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

1) I want to partition my HP Pavillion DV 7 1260-US Laptop, for specs see link, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3860646 ,and dual boot Ubuntu with Win 7. My system is as 64 bit operating system. Should I install the 64 bit version of Ubuntu? In the Ubuntu pocket guide he said there were some compatibility issues with the 64 bit system but I was thinking since there was been some time since that was written that maybe these have resolved.

I would go ahead and install the 64-bit version. From what I read, most of Ubuntu's software comes in both 32- and 64-bit. For the things that don't, these links may be useful to you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/install-flas...#comment-152979 (second to bottom comment)

2) Also how much space should I give Ubuntu? I have a 451GB HD and use a lot of it most of the time right now I only have 100GB free.

20 - 40GB should be pretty comfortable for the OS. I would go up to 60 - 80GB, though.

3) My plan is to finish reading the Ubuntu pocket guide, run the live CD to check for bugs, prepare my system for Ubuntu then install and tweak!!! This sound good (i am new to this so just want to be sure)?

Yep, this sound like a pretty good plan.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 tuxmike

tuxmike

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

I, too, would suggest to try the 64 bit version first. If you experience problems you can always do a reinstall with the 32 bit version.

I use linux exclusively, so even 80 GB would seem tight for me, given all the software and GB of files I keep. But if you keep your data on the windows partition even less than 80 GB should be just fine.

greets
tuxmike

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

I looked around a bit to see if Windows 7 defragmenter requires 15% free space.
I couldn't absolutely confirm that so I would suggest you leave that amount of free space
for 7 unless you find out it is no longer a requirement to be able to do a full defragment of 7.

It is advisable to clean up and defragment your HDD before installing a Linux distro.
The clean up, if you haven't done it, should free up a lot of space.

In the link below are guides to cleaning and defragging Windows 7 if needed.
http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx

Edited by buddy215, 19 February 2010 - 09:11 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

I am using Ubuntu 64 bit using WUBI on a 9 GB install :thumbsup: Everything works fine. I keep all my files on Windows partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users