Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 r.esmond.4tw

r.esmond.4tw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm building my first computer and i've found a motherboard that I am interested in but don't understand some of the jargon they are using on their website, was hoping for some interpretation. (the text in question is in red at the bottom).
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboar...?ProductID=3210

Thanks guys, this site is always so helpful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

<<DDR2 1066 is supported with combination of AM3/ AM2+ processors and qualified memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support information.>>

Qualified PC2 1066 memory modules...are those taken from their Qualified Vendor List...and no others. They guarantee that the system will work with appropriate CPU (AM3 or AM2+) and RAM from the QV list...they guarantee nothing beyond that to anyone who wants to use DDR2 1066.

I would also interpret that to mean that the CPU used must be on the CPU Support List, but that's standard. Really, so is the reference to PC2 1066.

These things vary board by board.

Does that mean that the system will not work with a totally different processor and RAM which are not on the list? No, it doesn't mean that...it just means that you take your chances and the boardmaker won't be responsible for your failures.

<<If you install AMD AM3/ AM2+ CPU on AM2 motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM3/ AM2+ CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.>>

Simply stated...use a supported CPU with this board or you will suffer a "loss of performance". Whether that differential is worth noting...the concensus seems to be that this is a trivial difference. Perhaps you have to be an engineer to be concerned about such :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport

That's how I see it...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2010 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users