Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Going Black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 genie86333

genie86333

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hi!

I have a networked HP computer with XP Pro, service pack 3 with a Samsung Syncmaster 920nw monitor.

As soon as the computer is turned on the monitor comes on for about a second, then goes black. If you turn the monitor off, then back on again it works again for about a second before going to black again.

The power light stays solid blue (if the computer goes to sleep or is turned off it blinks.) It logs into Windows fine, even though it's a pain to do even that because you have to shut the monitor off & turn it back on repeatedly to do anything, and gives no error messages or anything like that. Power-saver is set to never turn monitor off or go to sleep (that seemed to work for a few hours yesterday even though it doesn't seem to be the problem since it's going off after mere seconds instead of minutes or hours, but today it's not working again.)

I've checked connections & they're fine.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Tried the monitor on another computer to see if the trouble follows? That way you can rule out that it's the monitor and not within the machine. In other words isolate the condition to either the monitor or computer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 genie86333

genie86333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Don't know why I didn't think of trying that first - that's usually my 1st step. It's definitely a monitor issue. Did the same thing hooked to a different computer.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

I'm not much help with troubleshooting the monitor itself. I would think either replace it, warranty if it applies or a shop.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 genie86333

genie86333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

Thanks. That's what I was figuring. Can't keep the menu up long enough to do anything there (settings, etc) anyway because it resets the menu when it goes black.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users