Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cvos

cvos

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

I have a Seagate 1TB harddrive and yesterday it was so hot that the cable modem that sits on top quit working. After I let both cool off the modem worked fine and still does. I have never noticed this much heat from the drive before? And it will try to stop (spinning) and starts right back up. So for now I have the power unpluged from it. What do I need to do, or what may the problem be? It is about 1-1/2 - 2 years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

You could consider getting a HDD Cooler.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 cvos

cvos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

From what I see from the link they are for intneral drives. I have an external drive.
Why is it geting so hot now after about 2 years of use? Is this normal or is it ready to die?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

How long is the warranty?

A normal hard drive typically has a 3-year warranty period.

I see that some "external hard drives" have 2-year or 3-year warranties.

It's probably getting hot because:

a. A hard drive has never been made to be enclosed in such a constricted space. A hard drive can overheat in a desktop case, which has a LOT more room and fans to circulate air, as well as being designed to provide optimum system cooling for components.

b. There is no air ciculation inside the case that would be useful in cooling the drive.

Just guessing...

Is the drive actually overheating...or is the case containing the drive overheating? If the latter is the case...how hot is the drive itself?

Louis

#5 cvos

cvos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

The case is hot to the touch, not burning just very hot. After I had it unpluged from the power for about a day and ran a diginostic from Seagate it seems to be working like normal. The diginostic did not find anything wrong with it. So hopefuly it was just having a bad day or something. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users