Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternate method of burning DVDs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi all. I'm here today to ask a question that might sound a little simple, but honestly, at this point I've wracked my brain and have been completely unable to find an answer.

I've been having issues with my laptop shutting down during video conversion. I've had my laptop checked out by a professional and had the inside cleaned of dust and other debris, and I use a cooling pad underneath the machine as well. Despite these efforts, the laptop still shuts down whenever I am working on video conversion, trying to make a DVD that can be played in a standalone DVD player.

My question, then, is this: If I have an AVI file (which 99.9% of these files are), is there any way to write them to a disc without converting them to another format first? It seems to me that at this point I am unfortunately unable to convert video files (unless I can find another program to do that -- I've been using ConvertXtoDVD 4, and that is definitely *not* getting alongf with my laptop AT ALL.)

I know that with IMGBurn, you can write an ISO file to a disc. Would it be possible for me to create an ISO from the AVI files I have, and then burn that image to a disc that can then be played in my standalone player?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

The simple answer is no.
One of the options would be to buy standalone DVD player, like I have, which has USB port. I can plug USB stick into it and play straight avi files.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Well, thanks for the reply, anyway. DVD players with USB ports are not available in my area (small town; I've checked both stores that carry DVD players.) I guess I'll have to keep struggling along trying to convert the files.

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

$60 - http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6192610

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Yes, $60....plus $52 shipping (I live in Canada.)

I'll try checking eBay.

Dell 15R
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users