Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Lines Down Left Side of Monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 strawberryfields

strawberryfields

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

Had a lot of problems with this computer over the past year or two, including a trojan that was repaired with help from Hijack This and this forum. Also a problem with frequent crashing accompanied by a loud clicking sound, which was apparently caused by a corrupted hard drive. I wiped the hard drive at one point, performance was much improved for a while but the crashing continued and the problem gradually got worse. A few months ago, a new problem appeared, involving white lines on the left side of the monitor.

I just picked up a new hard drive, and re-installed Windows XP. Performance is now excellent, it appears that the hard drive was the cause of most of my problems. However, to my surprise the problem with the white lines is still here.

They stretch from the top to the bottom of the monitor on the far left side, I'd say around 40 lines extending out about an inch and a half. They are there most of the time, but they do disappear on occasion, and at other times they are "ghost lines" that flicker, although generally they're solid white lines. Since they disappear at times it doesn't seem like it's a problem with the monitor itself.

Computer is about 4-5 years old, Dell Dimension 4700, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2.99GHz, 2.0GB RAM, Radeon X300 video card (think it's 128MB)

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

Either the video chip or the monitor.

Replace one temporarily...to get some idea.

Louis

#3 strawberryfields

strawberryfields
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hey. Just adding a bit of new info. The white lines down the left side remain, pretty much at all times (although they do go away once in a short while). Over the last couple of weeks, a similar thing has happened a couple of times on the right side of the screen, and now it's doing it in the middle of the screen (just left of the center point). In both cases, it's the same width as the white line issue (about an inch wide), going from the top to the bottom of the screen), but these ones are solid, and switch colour, from black to grey, sometimes a flickering rainbow effect.

The poster above mentioned replacing either the video chip or the monitor. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but how hard would it be to replace a video chip, and how much would one cost?

Based on the description, does anyone have a good idea as to whether it would be the video chip, or the monitor (or something else?)

This strip down the middle (which is happening right now), is unbelievably annoying. I'm going to have to do something about it soon. Thanks for reading, and for any suggestions provided.

Edited by strawberryfields, 11 March 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#4 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

My GUESS is the ATI video card, but if you don't have a spare card, borrow a monitor and check that first. If the monitor checks good, then start looking for a new video card.

Video cards are easy to replace, take out the old one and install the new one. Make sure you get the right format, for a computer that old, probably either AGP or PCI. You can probably get a card that will work well with that PC for less than $100.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

The problem as described could be either. As Moby suggests, the only way to be certain is to change something and see if the problem goes or stays. Try another monitor, or try your monitor on another computer. If the problem goes with the monitor, it sounds like faulty column driver ICs in the LCD panel, or possibly bad connections in the LVDS loom (only the latter is fixable in most cases). If the monitor is OK on another system, or a borrowed monitor shows the same problem, look to the video card.

Edited by Platypus, 13 March 2010 - 09:44 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 strawberryfields

strawberryfields
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

If anyone's interested, it was the monitor. Took it in to a store and the white lines remained, so I have purchased a new monitor and so far, so good.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out - enjoy the new monitor!
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users