Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Woodworking, Carpentry, General Home Repairs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dryhter

dryhter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hey Everybody,

I am new here, I found this site by happenstance while out on the web searching for a solution to a problem I was having with my computer. The knowledge base is incredible as are the tutorials and tips and tricks. I found what I needed and it helped. I also found here, a safe place to go when I need help in the future and that is a good feeling.

At 56 years old and having only learned how to turn on a computer about three years ago, you can imagine the learning curve I have been on and how frustrating it is sometimes to do what seems like the simplest of tasks. But you learn and move on. . . . . .......

I have been a carpenter, cabinetmaker and general contractor for almost thirty years so when I saw the Home Improvement and Repair Topic on a computer help website I figured I might be able to help out.

So if you have a question about woodworking, carpentry, home repairs, stationary shop power tools/hand tools, or just how to do something just let me know and I will respond as soon as I can.

The main reason for even learning how to turn the computer on was to start a website ( pod casts mostly )to showcase some of my work and to bog about woodworking in general. Geese, was that a deep pool to step in and at the time, I really did not know just how much work it takes to keep a site up and running. So I will try to answer what ever questions some might have regarding that experience that also.
...................................................................................................................................
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
http://underconstructionlive.com/
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

I nosed around your website a little bit already
Very, very nice indeed. I got you beat by a couple inches with the grey beard
It's funny, but almost every picture of me are in denim overalls
Hope your snow melts
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hey garmanma,
Thanks for the welcome.
I am about ready to trim it up a bit starting to get a little scraggly and I don't want to scare anybody. I still have not got use to seeing myself on video, especially when I bend over and see how bald I am getting ( Snicker). I did have fun this year with all the little ones looking at me and wondering if I was Santa ..... . .. or not. And the camera does add a few lbs. , I really only weigh 156 lbs. Yep, bibbs is cool and they make quite the fashion statement when I go to town.
I see you are from Ohio, any where near Geauga County. Geauga County is part of the snow belt and I don't even start thinking about the last Snow until April.

Anyways, Thanks again,
...................................................................................................................................
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

I live in Cleveland by the airport
I used to deliver propane in your area back in the early '70's
We're getting hit with the white stuff now. They say it's coming from the south so maybe you won't get hit too awfully bad

My pic:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

It was

Is this spam????????

Edited by garmanma, 06 February 2010 - 10:45 AM.

Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

#6 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

I live in Cleveland by the airport
I used to deliver propane in your area back in the early '70's
We're getting hit with the white stuff now. They say it's coming from the south so maybe you won't get hit too awfully bad

My pic:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/

Morning Garmanma,

Woke up to about 6-8in. of the white stuff, suppose to have been 2-4in., OH well, life in the snow belt.

Here is a pic from the last snow storm:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x208/dr...ray2010_127.jpg

Well you would probably not recognize the place today, urban sprawl crept in in the early 00's and now with the recession lots of 750K houses sitting empty.

Nice :thumbsup: looking kid Grandpa, got your hands full now!! You're not going to have as much time to play on the computer.

Stay warm,
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Got about 12" of the stuff. Windy as all get out

Well you would probably not recognize the place today

I remember driving down an unnamed dirt road. When I found the tenth phone pole I'd turn right. Drive through a field, into the woods, and find a cabin with someone living there

Nice :thumbsup: looking kid Grandpa,

Next grandson should be here within a week or two :flowers:
Mark
Posted Image

#8 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:11 AM

I guess it's OK to ask a question here because my wife is from Cincy and we just ordered a case of Skyline Chili. hehe.

Here it is: 2 questions actually, now that I think about it.

1. My wife put a scratch in our entryway hardwood floor when she was moving furniture or something. It's about 3' long, not so far in that it goes through to the wood but deep enough to see. Should I even try to mess with it or just call in a woodworker? I'd hate to make it worse and then have to have someone repair what I'd done plus fix the original problem.

2. In one of our social get-togethers, wife served some food on top of our baby grand piano. Next day I saw a round discoloration in the wood like something acidic had spilled on it and eaten away the top layer of varnish or whatever is on it. It's a 100 yr. old instrument, made by a piano factory in Cincy, and I think it's walnut, heavier 'n hell to lift even one leg. Suggestions?

Thanks, Joe.

(Hiya Mark)

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#9 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:47 AM

Hey Joe,

The long and short of it is it depends on your expectations. The good news is that there is little that you can do to make it worse or cost more to have it professionally fixed or refinished. So you can give it a try. The existing finish has taken on a patina of age and use, and that is what makes it hard to repair just the damaged area with out affecting the rest. So the best you can expect is making the damage less conspicuous.

Usually a two step process, first duplicating the background color. On the floor easy enough to buy a little can of similarly colored stain and just rub it in to the scratch blending into the surrounding area, Or try a colored marker . A hint: go light in color, you can always go darker, but if too dark, it is hard to lighten it. The second step is to actually repair the finish, and this is the hard part because of the patina, any repair to the finish will be noticeable. But if you must, lightly sand(220 grit )the scratch and surrounding area using the joints in the floor as starting/stopping points. Apply a finish (doesn't matter,Varnish, Poly, oil or latex ). After it is dried ( 24-48 hrs.) buff it out with some 0000 steel wool to duplicate the existing patina and then give the area a coat of paste wax to blend in the old and new.

The piano will be a little more challenging, Varnish is impervious to food and drink so I would guess it is a lacquer finish, but it could be shellac. Each finish regardless of age is soluble in its proprietary solvent. Lacquer in lacquer thinner and shellac in alcohol. Test in an inconspicuous area to see what you have first, after that the repair is essentially the same as the floor.

I f the ring on the piano is kind of white or hazy try taking a tissue with some toothpaste and buff the area, then rub in some mayonnaise, butter, or a dab of veg. oil to rejuvenate. Some paste wax and a good buff always helps to blend in the patina.

Restore it Kit at Sears

professional furniture repair products
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

#10 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you sharing your expertise. With a little caution I think I can handle the jobs now. Joe.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#11 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

As a new DIYer I know where to come for help now! I checked out your site, very nice Dryhter :flowers: I thought you looked like a jolly Santa in the vids with the long white beard :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#12 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

Hey Carri,
Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of DIY'ing. There is no better therapy than doing or fixing something yourself. Sometimes you just need a little help.
Thank you for the kind words.

Ho Ho Ho, you got that right, if you got it flaunt it .. . .... .
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

#13 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hi Dryhter,

Was doing some browsing around the forums and noticed your thread here. I have a tendency to get stuck in the Malware removal forums when I am on-line so things tend to get by me.

I like your site and plan on looking at the vids when I get some time. I used to do some furniture refinishing and had a good little business but the chemicals got where they were bothering me and I quit doing it.

Look forward to you having some questions asked where others can take advantage of your expertise and experience.

:thumbsup:
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#14 Robert55

Robert55

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

I can at least share some of the stuff I've done at work:

(1) Used an acetylene cutting torch to cut off some dock bumpers, grind the metal down, then anchor and weld the new bumpers on using a stick welder
(2) Vertical and horizontal welding cracked welds on dock ramps
(3) Replaced and adjusted springs and spring rods on dock ramps
(4) Replaced 8 ft x 2 ft. door panels on vertical doors; balanced vertical doors
(5) Rewired electronic sensors, control panels, etc. on vehicle restraints
(6) Using a voltmeter, troubleshoot the circuitry inside of a control panel, replaced fuses, outside light boxes (re-anchored and rewired), and other electronic components
(7) Replace the brush seals on the sides of dock levelers (just basically drilling tech screws into the metal side guards -- no big deal)
(8) Replaced and rewired motors beneath dock ramps
(9) Replaced sensors and electronic pushbuttons

I've done other stuff, too, but a lot of it is just hard to describe and ultra boring to read. LOL

#15 dryhter

dryhter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

Hey Robert,

Sounds like you do work in a factory, thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to weld stuff, but the closest I got was borrowing my friends cutting torch to cut up a bunch of scrap metal :thumbsup:

Curious about your signature, are you in the roofing business?
Thanks,
Chips and shavings,
Dave

See you at,
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users