Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Backup your hard drive with DriveImage XML

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TutorialBot

TutorialBot

Bleeping Teacher

• Bots
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

A new tutorial titled How to Backup and Restore your hard drive with DriveImage XML was added by thcbytes. Please use this topic to discuss any aspect of this tutorial.

A brief excerpt of the tutorial can be found here:

DriveImage XML is my program of choice for backing up and protecting my data.
When I first began using this application, though, I had some difficulties restoring
my backup image on my test boxes using the instructions found in other tutorials.
Due to this, I pooled info from a variety of available tutorials, and with some
work, I was able to figure out how to restore my data. With this in mind, I
have put all of the information I researched into one guide so that others can
properly restore their data without running into the problems that I encountered.

We hope you find this tutorial helpful.

The Bleeping Computer Staff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

Oops. My apologies. I read the tutorial, had a question about testing the clone on external hd's, did a search for this forum on cloning and the [wrong] name for the program - found nothing and also managed to miss the post from feb 4th. So I posted separately [Questions on cloning & DriveImage XML]. Sorry, I do try to always search the forum before posting, but my search skills need improving and I obviously need new glasses.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#3 frerom

frerom

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Hi,
I'm getting errors when creating the backup. "Unable to flush..."
Could it be happening because the drive I'm backing up is NTFS and the destination drive is FAT32?
The drives are (BACKUP) 70GB 40% used, (Destination is La Cie USB hard drive) 74.5BG 28% used.
The computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400.
Appreciate any help.

Just a quick update. I originally posted this problem in April and I am trying to clone the drive again after my move to a new province. The problem basically is the same. Get errors after 20 % of the backup.
Thanks

Edited by frerom, 16 September 2010 - 11:49 AM.

#4 frerom

frerom

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hi,
I managed to create a backup of my desktop. I am not sure if it is because I disabled all my anti-virus and other protection programs. I was able to create the backup on the same USB hard drive although the desktop had 50% less files than my Dell laptop.

I will try backing up the Dell laptop again using the same procedure that I used for my desktop.

Just checked the tutorial. What I also did was leave the check mark for "split large files".

I would appreciate if someone will comment on the significance of using the split large files option.

Edited by frerom, 17 September 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#5 therock619

therock619

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:44 AM

Hi,
I managed to create a backup of my desktop. I am not sure if it is because I disabled all my anti-virus and other protection programs. I was able to create the backup on the same USB hard drive although the desktop had 50% less files than my Dell laptop.

I will try backing up the Dell laptop again using the same procedure that I used for my desktop.

Just checked the tutorial. What I also did was leave the check mark for "split large files".

I would appreciate if someone will comment on the significance of using the split large files option.

I beleive the Split large files option is there for easier file management of backup images moving around on more than one hard disk or media Dvd s and so on..

I d like to add a question myself regards the driveimage xml tutorial. Is changing the disk ID on the drive we are restoring to done to ensure that any previous drive letter assignments during image creation are invalidated and therefore windows xp will create fresh drive letter assignments under "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices" ? I m trying to make sense of the tutorial and what I read over here- "http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.shtml" . any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated :)

#6 Nicholas R.

Nicholas R.

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

An easy tutorial to understand! I hated DriveXML when I tried to use it originally, but hopefully this should help me :) Thanks!

#7 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

It is always recommended to install good data backup solution to protect your data.

#8 GrudgeDB

GrudgeDB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the tutorial. It put lots of things in perspective. I am trying to use DriveImage to clone my harddrive (C:) to an external HD connected in a USB case (X:). When I try to complete the operation, it appears that the DriveImage software does not read the size of the partition on the external drive (X:) correctly and then gives me an error message saying that the drive is too small. Both drives are 1 TB, but when I get to the point where Drive Image asks for a destination, it shows that the X: is only 116 GB. Any thoughts? (I can send screenshots if it would help) Thanks

#9 mp3mp45

mp3mp45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the tutorial.

#10 Richard14

Richard14

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

This tutorial has links to Ultimate Boot CD for windows.   UBCD4WIN.COM is no longer valid.  I think it should be changed to UBCD4WIN.ORG.

-Rich

#11 PistolSlap

PistolSlap

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:53 PM

So, I want to back up my hard drive, but I don't want to back it up to a proprietary compressed file, i want it to clone the disk identically so I can boot from it.  I see that XML has Drive to Drive and I did that, I have yet to check to see if it's bootable.  However I did check to see if I could use another backup program, Cobian Backup 11 to keep it up to date.  (Cobian does incremental backups of individually changed files without having to create a separate compressed file.)  However, Cobian was locked out of many files, even though it does use drive shadow copy.  I don't want to have to delete and rebackup the whole copied drive every week or whatever using XML, i'd rather just set it and forget it.  the problem with XML's backup feature is it backs it up to a file I need to use XML to recover.  I want to just be able to boot straight from my secondary drive in the event of an issue.  Can I set XML to do that, or is there another program I can use for that?

#12 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:38 PM

This tutorial appears to be missing a major section: the Restore part. I want to make sure I understand how to restore from this and I can't find the instruction. It goes from #2: Backup to #4:Conclusion. Please let me know if my browser is loading the page incorrectly or if there is another tutorial on restoration of a system using DriveImage XML. Thank you.

DriveImage XML Restore

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

#13 CDRWest

CDRWest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

This tutorial appears to be missing a major section: the Restore part. I want to make sure I understand how to restore from this and I can't find the instruction. It goes from #2: Backup to #4:Conclusion. Please let me know if my browser is loading the page incorrectly or if there is another tutorial on restoration of a system using DriveImage XML. Thank you.

DriveImage XML Restore

DITTO. Our estwhile friend, thcbytes, dropped the ball when he'd finished "How to backup".

He has clearly been too preoccupied with more "important" stuff so hasn't bothered to review our comments and correct his oversight (How to restore & How to restore individual files). As of now his promises ring hollow.

I've been a member for a while but this is my first time posting. A few weeks back I bothered to send the Bleepers some hard cash to support their legal battle and I sincerely trust this forum is at least occasionally moderated by a reasonably responsible adult who will build a fire under thcbytes.

This is no way to build and maintain a loyal (and, perhaps, generous) membership, dudes.

#14 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

This is no way to build and maintain a loyal (and, perhaps, generous) membership, dudes.

C'mon.  We're all volunteers.  We don't get paid for our time or work.  Don't you think you are being a bit harsh?

#15 CDRWest

CDRWest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:32 AM

Dear Agouti,

My criticism was directly aimed at a single bleeper who promised much and delivered little, a certain "thcbytes".

Your feelings are, quite frankly, not at issue. Your ACTIONS, however, would go a long way to assuring the integrity of ALL bleepers if you were to take the time to FIX THE PROBLEM rather than whine about the tone of my posting.

Oh, about that last sentence: if you don't deliver on your promises, folks will stop visiting you and your pleas for legal defense contributions will, indeed, suffer. Think about it.

In closing, I fully appreciate the hard work and devotion volunteer bleepers bring to the table. Upbraiding the poor ones merely underscores the admiration of the community for the good ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users