Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How good (or bad) is Microsoft Security Essentials?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 p00k4kk3

p00k4kk3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:07 AM

I had Norton 360 on my computer for about 6 months. I didn't really have any problems with it other than that it seemed to slow down my computer, and also it seemed like the service they provided for reporting malicious sites was commonly abused by people to report safe sites as unsafe.

An IT friend of mine recently told me I should fry Norton with Revo uninstaller and get MSE, so I did. I haven't had any problems with the uninstall like it seems some people do after uninstalling norton, and I haven't seemed to have any problems since getting MSE. I guess that's all good, but I am curious to hear some opinions about MSE; how good is it? How much can I rely on it?

I have the free version of Malwarebytes, and I typically scan everything I download with MB and with MSE before I open it. I try to run an MSE scan and a MB scan once a week.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials Overview is basically a stripped-down version of OneCare aimed at users who either canít or don't want to pay for antivirus/anti-malware software.Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. However, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 p00k4kk3

p00k4kk3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

Thanks, the tech herald review is the kind of thing I was looking for. Seems like it did pretty well in their testing.

I am still interested in hearing other peoples' experiences with it.

The only problem I have had with it so far is that in scheduled scanning MSE will scan all files & folders that are shared on the network, if you are on a network with shared folders available, and eventually will get stuck on a large shared file. The files it was getting stuck on on my network were large game files 10gb+ in size. Which sucks, because you can't do a custom scan with the scheduled scan, it has to be a quick or a full scan; and in the options to exclude locations in the scan, networked drives are not an option. The problem doesn't seem to appear in regular scanning, just scheduled scanning. When I first looked it up, it seemed that it was a recognized problem and was being worked on.

Actually...now that I think about it, I wasn't awake to watch the scheduled scan the last couple times, but it must have completed without getting stuck like it did before because I haven't woken up and seen it stuck. So perhaps they've fixed it. I'll change my scheduled scan time so I can watch it and see if its still going after shared folders.

#4 p00k4kk3

p00k4kk3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

Looks like they've fixed that bug, scan just finished and I never saw it go for other drives on the network. Sweet.

#5 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

IMHO MSE is one of the top free AV's. It scores well on AV-Comparatives, is not too heavy on resources and really simple to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users