Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Instructions on how To Uninstall/Reinstall Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lesnevs

Lesnevs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

I have a Compaq Presario R4000 running XP SP3 that I just recently removed the Internet Security 2010 virus from. Since then I've been receiving two pop-ups every time the computer starts. The first is Data Execution Prevention that says "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services." When I close that window, another comes up that wants to send an error report to Windows. Clicking "Send Error Report" or "Don't Send" brings up the first window again. It does not go away. This does not come up in safe mode.
The second pop-up is System Shutdown and says "The system is shutting down. Save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved data will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT Authority\System." Under that the Message says "Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly." I'm given 60 seconds before the computer restarts and I get to play the game all over again. I'm given anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes between restarts. This also occurs in safe mode, but takes closer to 30 minutes to happen.
I've run Spybots S&D, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and AVG-free but have found no viruses since IS 2010 was removed. Oh, I'm also having trouble with Firefox Google searches being redirected. I really would like to start from scratch. I have all my important files backed up and this was a hand-me-down computer so it's registered under another user's name and I'd like to get rid of that as well. I'm not the most computer literate person, but I can follow instructions well. I have the Compaq Application & Driver Recovery DVD and the Operating System CD with XP home SP2, I just don't know how to get rid of all the junk on the computer so that I can start over.
Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

A good place to start is here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...name=c00006110#
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

nice link Budapest.

Now I can replace my long winded explanations of hp/compaq recovery with this link :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users