Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant connect to Internet.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Henry2

Henry2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:37 AM

I need help. I just recently installed window 7, and tried connecting to a network. So, I tried clicking "Connecting to a network" (Right under "Set up a new connection or network") but nothing came up. I tried clicking again, but nothing happens. What can i do to solve this? I use window 7 ultimate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for your network card (and other hardware)? That's the first thing to check. You'll have to use a PC that can connect to the internet to download the latest drivers from your manufacturer for your specific model (visit their website and look around, they usually aren't too hard to find). What brand/model is your PC?

Do you have a previously working network card? (did it work before W-7?) Is there a viable wireless network at your location? (I'll assume it's the same one that you used before installing W-7)

These are the first obvious things to check. If it worked before W-7, then it is likely a driver issue keeping you from accessing the internet (not likely a physical hardware problem).

Are you able to connect after updating all your drivers?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Henry2

Henry2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

ummm, not really, since I downloaded this by VMware workshop, so I have both window 7 and vista on my computer. My computer was originally Vista, and it has the internet connected, but not Window 7 (VMware). So, I'm not sure what to do/download. Right now, I'm kind of lost. But i can connect to internet with Vista.

My computer is Window Vista 64x bit
Dell 1537 (studio 15)

EDIT: I dont know what happened, but it suddenly connected. Thanks for helping though. Topic closed please.

Edited by Henry2, 04 February 2010 - 01:26 AM.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:30 AM

Eh, sometimes it just takes a little kick in the pants for Windows to work properly. :flowers:

Glad you got it working, though. :trumpet:

Enjoy Windows 7! :thumbsup:

#5 Henry2

Henry2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

oh no, it happened again. How do you fix it again?
It says its connected to "Unidentified Network", and it cant find any other networks, but other computers at my house are working. So, how do you fix it?

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

Right-click the internet icon in the notification area, and click "Troubleshoot Problems". Windows will look for problems in your internet configuration, reset your network adapter (wireless card, in this case), and check other things.

Sometimes with a clean install, the internet can be a little flaky at first. Did you update your drivers like I said to do?

Well, wait a second. It looks like there are no Windows 7 drivers for your particular model. :thumbsup:

You may have to fight with it for a couple days until it works with no problems. Whenever I've used a new computer, the first few days are always hectic (install software, fix things that don't work, beat my head against the wall, etc.). You'll just have to be patient with it. I know that's hard to do with something as important as the internet, but don't give up on Windows 7 just because of the bugs you have to deal with when starting out. Everybody has some problems to start with, but 99% of the time, they do get resolved.

#7 Henry2

Henry2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

I tried the troubleshoot, but it just says to reset the Router, but its working perfectly for my vista.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

Wait a second, you said you use VMware, right? So Windows 7 is installed in a virtual machine? (in this case, the host operating system is Vista, and Windows 7 just runs inside a window)

This makes a difference in how to tackle the internet issue. Is Windows 7 in a vm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users