Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posting windows COA cd keys online

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:53 PM

What I mean is, I see listings on ebay with the COA key clearly visible in the pictures. Is that a good idea? What if someone comes a long and sees it and uses it for like a bootleg windows or something. What would happen if a computer is already online with a cd key (because that person stole that key), now someone else buys the item on ebay (labtop, pc, etc) and goes to type in the cd key. What would happen. Would their cd key not authenticate because windows could tell its already registered on another computer running at the same time?

I'm not sure I did a good job explaining what I mean. BC is full of smart people, so someone should be able to make sense of what I said.

Long story short: Is it a good idea to get the COA product key in the picture when posting something on ebay? Can bad things come from that? If so, what?

discuss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

The windows activation key is embeded into the disks data stream, the COA will only work with that disk.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:16 AM

:flowers:

This discussion is against the Rules, Fellows.

Last thing we all need is the Net Police jumping on our heads because someone opened their mouth when they should not have.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Abacus 7, 04 February 2010 - 05:18 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

It's not against the rules
He's not asking for a key
He's asking about displaying a picture on the net that contains the CD key and whether or not it is a wise thing to do
Which it isn't, of course
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

The windows activation key is embeded into the disks data stream, the COA will only work with that disk.

That is quite incorrect. CD keys are specific to versions of Windows (i.e. Home Edition vs. Pro) and to distributors (OEM's like Dell, HP, etc.) but not to individual disks.

Like the G-Man said: Not against the rules, but probably not a very good idea.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

it's a bad idea to include the COA on an form of internet communications. Many people will remember the Vista COA issues where people would go into stores like best buy or Circuit City and text or use their camera phones to record the COA's printed plainly on the outside of the boxes. I thought windows had moved the COA's to the inside after that little mess up.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 04 February 2010 - 05:15 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:44 AM

I think they did BlackSpyder. When I bought my XP disk about a year ago, the only place it had a product key was inside on the jacket of the cd. Since the ones the op mentioned are on ebay, they have probably been around for quite a while

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

We all at some stage have told OPs that they can use Any Disk for the Windows Program that applies to their Program, as long as they have the COA for it?

Go figure? I still think that this is a very Grey Area, Fellows.

I would hate to see the Internet Police jump on this?

Edit, I would just make very sure, before commenting on this on and then keep it very brief for your own protection.

Just consider what is really in the Rules?

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Maybe Admins can resolve this?

Ray.

Edited by Abacus 7, 05 February 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Two moderators have said there is not a problem. Thats not good enough?

There isn't a problem. Now an admin has said it. It is up to all staff to interpret the rules and act accordingly. It is not always an admin's responsibility to make every decision.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

Two moderators have said there is not a problem. Thats not good enough?

There isn't a problem. Now an admin has said it. It is up to all staff to interpret the rules and act accordingly. It is not always an admin's responsibility to make every decision.

On the Basis of what I have quoted above, I can honestly say that it is very possible to use the COA's displayed to set up Legal Installs of Windows for whatever the Windows System is displayed at the time, even though they are not really Legal in the True sense. That is how Crazy it really is.

I could not honestly say that until Animal approved it. But it is totally true.

None of us like Pirates, but this yet another way for them to do their Dirty Deeds.

Using those COAs give them heaps more Suckers, that think they got a Bargain.

Edited by Abacus 7, 05 February 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

We all at some stage have told OPs that they can use Any Disk for the Windows Program that applies to their Program, as long as they have the COA for it?

It isn't a grey area. If you have XP home (or another version of Windows, you can borrow your next door neighbors copy of XP home (or whatever version of Windows is used), and use that to reinstall Windows IF you have a valid key to use.

I made a copy of a legal Windows disk for a friend when her disk got so scratched it wouldn't work. She has used my disk, and HER key several times and has no trouble doing so.

If it were not legal to advise such, we would not be telling people to do it.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

It isn't a grey area. If you have XP home (or another version of Windows, you can borrow your next door neighbors copy of XP home (or whatever version of Windows is used), and use that to reinstall Windows IF you have a valid key to use.

I made a copy of a legal Windows disk for a friend when her disk got so scratched it wouldn't work. She has used my disk, and HER key several times and has no trouble doing so.

If it were not legal to advise such, we would not be telling people to do it.

Yes, you are right.

It is also possible to use a COA to do the exact same thing, even if you don't own that COA.

Edit. COA is a Valid Key, but it can be applied to other valid keys from other Machines with the same Windows Program. I honestly thought that was common knowledge?

That is well known, that is why it should have been a Grey Area.

BTW? Sorry for any misunderstanding between us?

Ray.

Edited by Abacus 7, 05 February 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

Ok lets see if I can clear this up and end this once and for all.

COA's cannot be used on more than one Windows instance at a time legally, excluding some Corporate keys which will handle more than one but only up to so many copies. These (corporate) keys are different than Retail and OEM keys, not sure how but they are otherwise the next part won't work. The key is used by the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) tool when installing Security or other updates (so once a month). If the WGA Server detect 2 or more PC's using very different hardware the servers will report the key as invalid (unless its a corporate key, which the servers can tell) and the tool will state "This Copy of Windows is not Genuine". Most times the server can sort out which machine is using the right key and which is not. The WGA system stores your key's hardware profile so, if you make drastic changes to your system one month (say hard Drive, motherboard, CPU, RAM. You know a regular upgrade) The tool may kick back your key as being invalid. Those are the problems with the WGA tool 1)It stores your hardware profile (some users don't like this), 2) It can flag your Windows install as invalid if someone else uses your key (then you have to prove its yours to MS), 3) If you change hardware you may still have to prove the key is yours.

That being said we've gone way the "blank" off topic. So back to the topic

1) Is it legal to take a picture of Windows Packaging with a COA you own and post it to the internet for sale? Yes
3) Is it wise? No

Edited by BlackSpyder, 05 February 2010 - 03:22 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

That being said, I have to agree this has gone on enough. Topic closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users